Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP/Compaq Server with NetWare 5.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberElf

Technical User
May 6, 2004
NO
We got a HP/Compaq ML 350 server (generation 3) with a Xeon processor and 1 Gb RAM. We use a 3 disk raid solution.

On that server we run a CRM application made with Clarion and its using Topspeed database for the moment.

Our problem is speed! We run some queries on that server from our workstations. It used to take approx 5-10 minutes for each query and now it takes like an hour! We replaced our old switches, patch cables but nothing works.

The CRM application is not the problem, because if we run it locally then it works like it should. Im all stuck here and need some help.

TIA!!!

Are you plugged into a gigabit switch? You should check for NIC errors. Do it the same place you found the speed/duplex, but look for any errors that exist and/or are incrementing continually.

As far as IPX 802.3, Novell says not to use it because of a defect in the code, but I've never seen any problems with it like what they describe. If your 4.11 server has been running it all this time with no problems, i wouldn't worry about it. You'll have to keep IPX as long as you have your 4.11 server around.

To get rid of the LDAP error, you are probably not using it and so you can do an UNLOAD NLDAP at the console, and then remove the "LOAD NLDAP" line from the autoexec.bat file.

I still want to know why your Long Term Cache Hits are so low. What is your LRU Sitting Time running at?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Im not plugged into a gigabyte switch. I got 2 new 3com switches that are stacked. I ony found one error:
transmit failed, carrier sense missing 6

everything else was zero..

I got rid of the ldap error, but ill think I remove it.

I know why my long term cache is so low..after I increased the directory cache buffers the long term cache got lower. So I put it back a bit and now its at 92% andt the directory cahe buffer at 4500 (max).

My LRU sitting time is 5:21:12

are you using the internal array controller - ie the 5i or are you using a card?

I'm using the array controller as a NIC. No extra network card

sorry you missunderstand - are you using the onboard array controller - ie the 5i or are you using a seperate array controller - ie 5300 or such like

the onboard one is slow - this will not effect the caches but does have speed implications

there's a separate array controller in the box, but I didn't buy it extra. It came with the server.

what kind of pc tests?

I disabled HyperThreading and changed the computer settings from memory to I/O.

I don't know if it's also possible with NW 5, but look if the compaq teaming software is installed(team's your NIC's), I know it has problems if your swithces don't support it.

You have to configure your switch ports into Fast EtherChannel (FEC) mode in order to get teaming working (in a group of 2 or 4 for example). You'd also need CPQANS.LAN (Compaq Advanced Network Services driver)

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

But I got only one Network card, and that the one thats integrated...

i think we are deaviating a wee bit here

we need to look at why the stats are low?
we need to look at what's wrong before changing anything major

so firstly i want you to take a pc - only protocol on it ip. login and connect to database and see how it performs.

secondly take a pc with only ipx on it and connect to database and see how it performs.

thirdly take a pc with both protocols and see how it performs.

hopefully they should all be roughly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back