Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP/Compaq Server with NetWare 5.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberElf

Technical User
May 6, 2004
NO
We got a HP/Compaq ML 350 server (generation 3) with a Xeon processor and 1 Gb RAM. We use a 3 disk raid solution.

On that server we run a CRM application made with Clarion and its using Topspeed database for the moment.

Our problem is speed! We run some queries on that server from our workstations. It used to take approx 5-10 minutes for each query and now it takes like an hour! We replaced our old switches, patch cables but nothing works.

The CRM application is not the problem, because if we run it locally then it works like it should. Im all stuck here and need some help.

TIA!!!

whats changed?

is file access to nrmal files ok - is it only the db or is it the server that is slow

what are you settings etc

is the whole thing a raid 5 - ?

how much puregeable space is on each volume

hows the stats

file access is ok - i guess.At least no one has complained about it.

my settings....help me out here. What settings woul u like to look at..I can get them for you...

Yes i think its a raid 5

purgeable space?? have to check that one out too...

Stats..on the monitor..

Ok ill make a full reply tomorrow. As u probably know i need all the help i can get.

If you just installed it clean, a lot of your settings are at default. A couple in particular that are probably the biggest are:

SET MINIMUM DIRECTORY CACHE BUFFERS (Default is 150)
SET MAXIMUM DIRECTORY CACHE BUFFERS (Default is 500)
SET DIRECTORY CACHE ALLOCATION WAIT TIME (Default is 2.2 seconds)

If you look in MONITOR and see that your Directory Cache buffers is at 500, you need to increase it. You could probably set the Min to 2500 and Max to 5000 and see how it goes. If you watch it for a while and it hits 5000, then up it some more.

Rule of Thumb: Take whatever is displaying in Monitor, set that as Minimum, double for Maximum. Watch it and repeat as necessary.

Also, set the Directory Cache allocation wait time to 0.1 seconds.

Get those settings tuned and if you are still having problems, let us know. That is the most common thing I run into when dealing with performance issues on NetWare 5.x

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I tried your suggestions, but it didn't help. Here is some info about the netware box.

Original Cache buffers: 261 439
Total Cache buffers: 216 472
Dirty Cache buffers: 0
Long term cache hits: 34%
Packet recieve buffers: 2000
Directory cache buffers: 2502
Maximum service processes: 500
Current service processes: 9
Current MP service processes: 3
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cache Utilization Stats.

Short term cache hits: 100%
Short term cache dirty hits: 100%
Long term cache hits: 34%
Long term cache dirty hits: 0%
-----------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE HELP ME!!

TIA

Your long term cache hits are in the toilet. I don't see anything else as being obvious but you need to find out why you're at 34% on your long term cache hits.

Are you getting any errors on the system console?

When you say it used to run in 5-10 minutes, do you mean on a different server? What were the specs on it? hardware and software.

All of a sudden i start getting ldap errors. It says something about the ldap server group object not being configured.... but thats the only error i see on the system console.

The query used to take 5-10 min. on a our old server. A old Dell poweredge 2400 with 512 mb RAM. PIII CPU.

Now we got a HP proliant ml 350 Gen. 3 with 1 Gb og RAM and a Xeon 2.8 Ghz CPU..

The old server was also running nw 5.1

What should the long term cache hits be? 100%? Ill check it out some more on monday. I wish u all a nice weekend.

what version is the support agents on
should be 7 - check by typing m cpqda* - they will be 6.3 , 6.4 or 7

is hyperthreading on - turn screensaver on - if you see 2 snakes then turn hyperthreading off in bios

get exact ldap error - should be cosmetic but an error is an error

Why shall I turn hyperthreading off? I thought that it will boost the system...

...but I will try it on monday and I'll get back to you (all).

Enjoy your weekend

Hyperthreading might boost performance on systems that actually NEED it (AKA MS Win based).. It doesn't work too well with Novell which runs just fine without it.

Long term cache should usually be in the 90%'s.. I've seen it in the 80's on systems with large Btrieve databases (1TB+). I've also seen it lower when doing a large transfer / restore. But it shouldn't be running that low with just normal day to day activity.

Can you do a "MEMORY" at the console prompt and make sure it is actually reporting 1GB.

by default i turn hyperthreading off

i havent noticed any difference with it on or off except on one server running a sybase db - it runs faster with it off

this was on a 6 server - not tried it on 6.5 which i think is the first server with true support.

2000 server doesnt like it much either - 2003 seems to preferr it a bit

hp agents - not sure on 5.1 but i know if you had version 6.2 on there there was a cosmetic issue with processor at 100% on the virtual one and it did seem a dodgey version - 7 or even 6.4 is a lot better

are you using the same database load line in the new server - ie does it load a portion of the database into memory by default

is new server nss or traditional

Ok, first of all thanks a lot for all the help so far. You guys are great!

Here are some more stat:
MEMORY: 1 048 165 Kb

m cpqda*: ver. 7.0

I think hyperthreading is off. <scrsaver activate> shows only one snake...

The long term cache hits has risen to 88% and staying there.

Ldap error: NLDAP: No LDAP Group configured for LDAP Server "CN=LDAP Server - Server2.O=NHD"

About the database: Its a topspeed database and that means if I run a query then i pull all the data over to my workstation. So its not processed on the server itself. In the near future its going to be placed on a sybase sql server.

I have enabled rconag6 so if you got some more questions/suggestions let me know and I'll try them out.

whta speeds the server running at - these models will go to 100 half by default

best idea is set speed on switch and then set on server as ell - to check speed - go into monitor - lan or something like that - select the protocol and then you will see near bottom - it should be duplex 2 and speed 100

if not set the port on switch for ioo full and set server as well

it's a q57 i think so at end of nic line add - forceduplex=2 speed=100

ldap group prob - in console1 do you see both ldap objects - if not you may need to recreate the missing one - there is a tid on this

what protocols are you running - ip only ?

It seems that I got two adapters in "LAN/WAN Driver"
1. Q57_1_E83_E83_[Q57 mem=F5FE0000 int=5 frame=ETHERNET_802.3]

2. Q57_1_EII_EII_[Q57 mem=F5FE0000 int=5 frame=ETHERNET_II]

Under Custom Counters both are set to:
Adapter Link Status (Down=0, UP=1) 1
Adapter Link Speed (Mbps) 100
Adapter Duplex Mode (Half=1, Full=2) 2
-----------------------------------------------------------Shouldn't adapter line speed be at 1000 mbps? I mean its a gigabit card, or does the speed of the switch decide that?

I think we're getting there soon... :)

eh....forgot the protocols...

We also got a 4.11 server and therefore we should use ip and ipx.

I took a new look at the long term cache hits and now its been at 57% for a while!!

802.3 is abit of a strange one

this was really for 3.11
802.2 was the default used 3.12 and above

some places i have seen - they dont use 802.x but still set it to ethernet_ii - not sure what is best but i would imagine that later clients will prefer ip and if it's ipx would imagine it's 808.2

ok first test - this is assuming that 5.1 has a partition. on a pc with ip only - connect to dbase and see what it is.

on same pc then use ipx and see what it's like

hope that marv comments on ipx - as ipx isnt a thing i play with at all

speed is ok as card may be gigabit but your switch will probably not be

what do you mean? I should install 5.1 on a PC with IP only? and then do the same with ipx?

Can we drop the ipx thing and go for a all Ip network, can we still reach our 4.11 box?

no i mean

use a pc with ip only on it and connect to the database and see how it performs. then using same spec pc or preferably same pc but unload the ip and make an ipx only connection to dbase, then use same pc with both bound and see how it works in each scenario - just to see if it's a weird protocol thing

as for ip only - no - or well not recommended - 4.11 supports ip but i cant run ip only unless you use the old legacy product netware/ip or something like that - wouldnt recommend it -

one question..how big should the swap file be?

is there a way to stress test the server and see how much it can handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back