Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Compaq - Doesn't like PCI-Express Graphics Card..

Status
Not open for further replies.

basepointdesignz

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

Here at work, we all had new PCI-EXpress Graphics Cards for some double screen action (they were the 9400 GT cards NVidia i think) and for 4 out of 6 of us, they ran fine and all is good in the hood, but my boss' PC won't except the new graphics card. They are all HP machines but his flags up a msg on the black screen and won't load windows - can't remember what it says now but it was something about the type of card not being compatible and would have to put the new card back in to see what it did say but has anyone had any issues with graphics cards not working in HP machines?

I tried following the 'HP online helpdesk' thing on their site but its so clumsy and hard to navigate I thought i'd try you guys..

If necessary i can supply all the serial and product numbers but just wondered if anyone has had the same problems..

Cheers,

Paul
basepointdesignzltd..
XP Pro..
Pentium Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 x SLI NVIDIA 8500GT SLi 1024MB DDR2 PCI-Express Graphics Cards

Hmm, were all the machines identical? I'm guessing not, but just need to clarify.

Are all the OSes identical? In other words, are they all XP, Vista, or Seven, or are some XP, some Vista, etc..?

I'm guessing you've got a mixed bag of hardware...

On the 2 not working, are you sure they are both PCI-Express X16 slots, and not PCI-Express X4/X8 slots that have the backs cut out to allow the fit?

Are you sure that the motherboards in the 2 nonworking ones are built to accept graphics cards, and not instead high-end RAID cards?

Do they all have sufficient power supplies, and on the 2 that aren't working correctly, were the additional power plugs connected (if exist on the gfx cards)?

Just to see, have you tried a bootable live CD of Linux - Ubuntu or other to see if would load w/o errors that way?

In the end, I suppose it could be some weird driver issue...

In any case, do you still have the original gfx cards to reinstall for a minute, or do you have onboard video that can be used? If so, if they are ATI especially, you may need to download an ATI graphics driver removal app to make sure it's gone, THEN power down, take out ATI if not onboard, and install nVidia card... then install drivers...

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

And, just to add to kjv's excellent suggestions, make sure you didn't need to turn off on-board graphics in the bios before adding a new card.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the replies - i now know what the problem is. The system in question '...only supports SDVO / ADD2 cards in the x16 slot..'

I've seen some ADD2 cards online but my main question now is:

Can i set up a dual screen scenario with the output of the ADD2 card and the on-board VGA slot in the motherboard? We want the second screen as an extension of the main screen, not a duplicate..

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul
basepointdesignzltd..
XP Pro..
Pentium Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 x SLI NVIDIA 8500GT SLi 1024MB DDR2 PCI-Express Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search