Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP CD Writer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryG

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2000
US
I have a PIII 733 system with w2k pro and an HP 9300 CD/RW that I cannot get to create cds. I am using Adaptec's latest version 4.02d, I have disabled DMA, I have tried several brands of media, I have written the file to disk (UDMA 66 drive) and I still get buffer under runs and any speed above 1x. When I do get a copy made half the time it will work only in the computer CD and not in a regular audio cd player.

HP tech support was less than usefull, despite several attempts.

I think part of the problem may be the version of IE you are running. Adaptec's software had a bug in it that couldn't recognize IE5.1 or higher.
Secondly try writing the CD's in Joliet format as a regular CDROM and not CDROM-XA and make sure you choose the close session option before you write the CD. Hope this helps.

For step 1 kill everything running on W2K. Then for good measure disconnect from the Net and the LAN. Physically yank out the cables. Now try and write a CD. If you get another buffer underrun, consider step 2.

Step 2 is to try out another CD-writing s/w. I use Nero 5x. This supports better writing options and is far less troublesome thatn Adaptec. True you can't use DirectCD, but I'd rather rewrite 640 MB+ than look at a oversized 400 MB floppy :)

Also have an HP 9300 CD/RW. Had to order a W2000 upgrade software for the CD/RW from HP. Cost is less than 10 bucks. Am now able to use the Writer properly.

Jazqn

I did finally get some usefull information from Adaptec. They had me manually delete some files and do a reinstall. I can now record the audio CDs but at a max of 4x. Do you get any more performance than this.

Also can you tell me what specifically you ordered. When I called they said there was no such upgrade software available.

Thanks

JerryG,
Just curious, what files did Adaptec have you remove?
Thanks
M Hughes

The Instuction I got were
1. Uninstall all CD burning software
2. delete the following files
cdr4vsd.vxd
cdr4vsd.sys
cdr4dll.dll
cdral.dll
cdrtc.dll

3. Remove the Adaptec folder
4. reboot the system