Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP ALL-IN-ONE PSC PHOTOSMART XP DRIVERS PACKAGE INSTALLATION TIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred69

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
CA
You need to install the recent driver package from HP and it doesn't work? Your printer driver CD explosed like mine and the web driver makes fatal errors during install? Before HP resolves this issue, follow these steps.
--------------------------------------------------------
HARD TO INSTALL ON WINDOWS XP... MANY INSTALLATION ISSUES...
SO FOLLOW THESES STEPS CAREFULLY AND YOUR INSTALLATION WILL BE A SUCESS.

1. XP USERS RIGHTS

Go in Regedit (start/run/regedit). Under local_machine/software/HP and local_machine/software/Hewelt packard. Right-click on these folders, select 'authorizations' and give full access. Also add 'Everybody' as a user then give full access==> Look around you will find a button where a window will give you a chance to search for computers, users, etc. Then add 'everybody'.

2. MSCONFIG

Go in msconfig (start/run/msconfig). In boot.ini, advanced. Set the maxmem to 256 if you have it or more. Else enter a lower value. A small value like this increase the compatibility with the package. Undo this change after hp installation. Just return at this same place and uncheck the maxmem value and reboot.

3. UNINSTALL ALL OLD HP SOFTWARE TRACES

Go under c:/programfiles/hp or hewelt packard. Delete all folders.
Go on c:/temp. Delete this exact folder before executing the package.

4. UNINSTALL OLD DRIVERS

Just unplug the printer USB cable from the computer. Reboot.

5. RUN PACKAGE

After one reboot or more, run the package. Don't change default settings, like the destination folder. After extraction, setup should start. When asked, plug the USB cable.

In the next step, 1 or 2 windows should pop while installing package, asking for drivers. It could be different on your computer. If it is, do what you can or skip this step.

6. WHILE INSTALLING...

When prompted, select manually your drivers. First, select no for windows update. Second window select manual then on the third window select auto (looks strange but you will understand) and select a folder for windows to look in==> browse to C:/temp/HP_WebRelease. Click OK. If you're asked to choose between 2 drivers, select the most recent one, even if it is not recommended by windows (numeric signature). The version should be 4.5 I think. THIS IS ONE COMMON CAUSE OF CONFLICT, HP REINSTALL OLD DRIVERS THAT ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS PACKAGE, JUST BECAUSE OF THE NUMERIC SIGNATURE.

7. FINISH, REBOOT, UPDATE.

The installation should finish without any major problem. I personally got only one error message, it was about Ram Dak or something... It said windows already has this feature integrated in its systems. So no problem, the setup was only trying to install an already installed feature.

Reboot your comp.

Double-click on the new 'hp digital imaging monitor' icon in task bar, select Software update. It seems there are lot of little updates from hp to do.

-----
PLEASE NOTICE I USUALLY SPEAK FRENCH. HOPE I USED THE RIGHT THERMS.

FRED.

I made a little mistake.

4. UNINSTALL OLD DRIVERS

Just unplug the printer USB cable from the computer. Reboot.
Also you need to go in start/control panel/add remove softwares. Then remove all HP imaging softwares that have been installed with the previous driver. And remove any HP driver or printers

Sorry guys!
I made another mistake:

STEP 6. WHILE INSTALLING...

Manually select drivers: please browse to C:/temp/nosoftware

do NOT browse to c:\temp\HP_WebRelease...

Else the setup will continue but the printer will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back