Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp 9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsquid

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2003
US
I work for a small phone and cable company. We print our own bills once per month, distributing the jobs between a 5si and an 8150. We are considering replacing the 5si in the 2005 budget and were interested if anyone had any experience good or bad with the 9000 and its reliability?

They're big printers, a cube about 2 feet square. They have to be larger since the paper comes out sideways for 8.5x11 paper. It can use 11x17 paper which smaller printers can't.

We have several and about half are approaching a million copies. One is nealy 2 million copies. So far 2 or 3 have needed replacements for the fuser unit when the fuser roller surface started to crinkle or separate, so that's its worst potential problem, I'd say.

One advantage is that they were designed to work with various attachments such as staplers, sorters, etc. I've used only the duplexer, though.

If you get the HP 9000 then be sure to print a configuration page and doulecheck the firmware date. When this printer first came out 2 to 3 years ago, there were some serious problems with the new firmware. By now virtually all issues have been resolved. It seems there is a new firmware update every 6 months or so. See thread697-562332

Thanks for your feedback. We use the sorters and print on custom forms on the other two, which they seem to handle pretty well.

I would be comfortable purchasing another 8150 for the 5si replacement, but was thinking to take advantage of the increased throughput speed of the 9000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back