Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 8550N makes noise after installing Image Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamonds97

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
I installed new image drum. Changed the toner tray, and the filter in the back. Now it makes a very slight clunk I think as the printer calibrates. After it calibrates, and I tell it to print something it makes the clunk but once it starts to print the sound goes away and it prints beautiful.

I wanted to try to remove and reinstall image drum to see if I don't have it in 100% correctly but I can't figure out how to get it out again. The instructions I used were good when it was out and the front panel said to replace but now I can't get it out.

It cant be that complicated? What do you think I should do.

Linda

8550N is a pricey printer, and you don't want to munk it up if you can aviod it. Did you use an HP part or an aftermarket?

Go to the HP site and look for documentation there. They probably have all the instructions online. I'd do that before you run it too much.

I use HP product. Like you said cost too much to get chincy on consumables. I wasn't successful looking at HP.com because I'm not sure how to word the search. I have the manual and it explains all consumable replacments but the image drum. I am 7% on black toner, I have to replace that, and I wonder if that is the problem.?
Thanks

Hi Diamonds,
To remove the drum, open the front cover and you will see a green handle and a blue handle, bot of these move to the right, and this will allow you then to remove the drum, by sliding it towards you.

As far as the noise goes, make sure that you have removed all the shipping materials from the drum. If you look at where the drum slides in to you should see a plastic/metal guide in there, this is part of a product enhancement kit that HPare adding to all machines, whether they are in warranty or not. To see if you have a PEP kit installed, check under the toner door where there should be a yellow warning label installed. If this is not there, contact HP service, who will install a pep kit for free for you regardless of warranty status
My advice is limited to my personal opinion, and the information I have been provided with. Paul Melarkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back