Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 8550: Why no Tray 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalMacDude

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
US
In my 8550 manual it says I cannot add a Tray 2 or Tray 4. All other models (N, DN, etc.) have it.
There is 1 screw that holds a blocking bracket in place, and it looks like everything else is there. I called HP Tech, said they "disabled" it in that model, but would offer no specifics on how they disabled it or why (greed, no doubt!).

Does anyone have any experience on this? I would like to buy a Tray 2 (same as HP5si) and try it. Other accessories work fine - Duplexer, Hard drive, 10/100 Ethernet. Any Ideas?

Thanks! :)

why'd you buy the 8550 instead of the N or DN? Cost?
probably some wiring you're missing as well. I have a DN and the additional Tray 4 has power and comm from the printer.

Yes, I built better than a DN (in some respects) for a good price.

After getting conflicting responses from HP tech support, I was told tray 2 would work.

I got one on ebay for $40, and it's been great!! No mods of any kind required (besides removing the block!).

Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back