Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 8550 - ghosting 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
I'm having a problem with an HP 8550 where it is "ghosting" images. Everything prints out cleanly, but then to the right of whatever is printed, you will sometimes see a faint image of what was printed (it's not the same ghosting image that appears over and over again as if it was burned into the transfer).

Any ideas on what to look at?

TIA

Hi I would check the Image drum, transfer unit. I would also check the cleaning roller, On the right hand side to see the clips and tenson spring are check them some times they brake.

pbing

Yeah the ICL Arm (I think that's what it's called) usually breaks and the cleaning roller doesn't clean off any excess toner from the transfer drum I believe. (also can cause a big colorful "smudge" in the middle of pages after a calibration is done, since it doesn't clean off the toner after it's finished).

The new ICL arm kit has a plastic/metal arm in it which should fix your problems.

Michael

HP Certified Technician

You might want to check the fuser for contamination.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I'm still looking into this issue, but the fuser looks clean.

Also, the ghosting issue only happens with color. If I were to print a sheet of black text, there are no problems. Even most thin, colored text is okay. It is just when there is heavy concentration of color, for example a blue bar running a cross most of the page, that the ghosting appears.

I have the exact same problem with our 8550 as wallst32. I will check the above suggestions and reply. If I print a config page, the pantone calibrated check box at the lower left corner is visible again about 2 inches to the right.

rickriley - Changing the drum kit solved the problem for me.
I don't know exactly what was wrong with it, but it always had excess toner stuck in it each time it rolled. I would clean it, roll it, and toner would always build up on it.

Thanks wallst32. I was able to find the arm broken in mine and the spring just hanging there. I attached best I could till the new ICL Arm Kit arrives. It is now working perfectly.
Thanks all!

I love you guys!

I've had problems with this printer for months. I've called HP, I've had them over to fix it but nothing has worked so far.
After reading this I had a look inside the printer and discovered the spring and some broken off white plastic. So, next challenge is to order this thing and get it in to place. At least it's going somewhere now.

Thanks!

Thank you all of you. I have ghosting problem and open the printer to find the spring of the cleaning roller dangling there. How can I tell whether mine was broken or not? Can someone give me any info to put the spring back? I will order a new one if it was broken.

Pretty much if the spring is dangling then it's broken (even if it isn't broken, you should really replace it anyway, because I'd nearly guarantee it would break eventually). The new ICL arm is made of metal rather than plastic, so will last quite a bit longer.

Michael

HP Certified Technician

My new Arm kit just arrived, anyone has any information on how to replace it.

Thanks

First, Whacky - let me know if you get an answer.

Second, I think I have a good temporary solution. Take a standard office paperclip, heat it up with a lighter. While it is hot (I suggest using a needle nose plier during this) make a new hole in the resin arm, behind where the old attachment was. Simply take the spring and bend it slightly so you can put it through the new hole and you are good to go. This can last a long while, but I still say this is at best a temporary solution.

Thanks
Les

Thanks Les,

No, we did not get an answer. We ended up having a HP service tech come and replace the broken arm with the new one. The dangling spring flew out and landed somewhere in the bowel of the printer and never to be seen again.

At least we knew what needed to be fixed and have the service tech come prepared.

The ghosting is fixed finally and we are so thankful to all you folks.

I'm having the same problem as discribed above. Can someone give me an Idea where I might find this ICL Arm. I looked in the manual for it, but can't find a reference for it. Thanks..

This seems to be a common problem. May I ask where is the ICL Arm located? I would like to take a look at mine to see if it's broken or not.

Thx,
wibdp

Thank you for question and solutions. I will look inside and report back....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back