Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 650C Plotter - Paper not advancing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2006
US
Greetings all,

I have just picked up a HP DesignJet 650C Plotter and seem to be having problems with the paper advancing. I am able to send jobs to the plotter, but after say about four inches of printing, the paper seems to "stick" and won't advance.

I have no reference materials on the plotter, I have replaced all print heads with new ones. Paper path seems find as indicated on the plotter.

Anyone have any suggestions or have you run into this problem before?

thanks!

Are the pinch rollers enguaged on the platen? If your printing from roll feed make sure the roll is loaded and orientated correctly. Lastly does the plotter report any errors?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

The pinch rollers look good and the roll is loaded as it should be; The paper advances fine when I load. The paper seems to advance several inches, then will stop, then will once again advance some more.

There are no errors reported on the plotter, all seems to be fine there.

Any other suggestions?

Hope I can get this going myself since there is no one in Milwaukee able to work on this plotter!!!

When you say, "stick" do you mean that the platen is still turning but the paper is not advancing or is the platen not even turning?

It has been years since I've worked on these plotters but back when they were fresh on the market I worked on tons of them.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

I believe that the platen is not moving either. the print heads move back and forth, but the paper nor the platen is not moving.

It seems odd that the platen wouldn't move without the plotter generating an error. There is a service menu you can access on those plotters I think by holding down the up arrow and menu key while powering on if my fading memory is correct. There are lots of different calibrations that can be run on the plotter but without a service manual for reference that might get you in a little too deep. Try googling for a service manual if you can, that should help you a lot. I'm pretty sure mine are gone now but I'll double check when I get home tonight.

Also you might want to try restoring to factory defaults if you havn't done so already.

Albert Einstein

There is a gear on the end of the platen roller that should have the screw tightened. You have to remove the right cover and the service station to get to it.
Also, check the carriage belt for worn spots.
Lot of work if you are not so inclined and able. Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back