Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 5si not printing over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual

MIS
Apr 29, 2002
US
I've tried to set up a HP 5si over my network. My Win2003 server has set it up & can print. I set up so that the installed drivers are Win98, XP & 2000 for the other PC on my network. All PCs can see the HP5si but only the Win2000 PC can print. No Win98SE or XP users can print.
Any help would be great.

Doug Corbett
Dual Inc
Natick MA 01760
accounting@dual-inc.com

Can you print a test page from the XP & WIN98SE machines ?
If you can,that verifies the driver(s) and spooling.
Can you ping the 5SI from XP & WIN98 Machines ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I cannot print a test pages from the XP & WIN98SE machines.
I can ping & tracert the 5SI from XP & WIN98 Machines.

Doug Corbett
Dual Inc
Natick MA 01760
accounting@dual-inc.com

You can try downgrading the driver to a LJ4 and see if anything changes. I'd also disable any windows print spooling (print directly to printer). What error messages, if any, do you get from the pc's that can't print to it? Clearing out spooled jobs from those pc's might also help.

Shtick

Shtick,

I got the 5si running across the network the on March 4th. My Win2003 server setup the install files for configuring the network but the drivers were not compatible for the Win98 PCs. BTW, the XP started to work by itself after a few hours on March 3rd.

I reinstalled the drivers on the Win98 PC & all are up & running but sometimes drop the connection. Then the users must reboot (not logoff/logon) to establish the printer again.

I will try the disabling the print spooling to see if this will stop the printer from being kicked off the individual PCs. I assume that disabling printer spooling lets the printer do the print processing not the PC.

Otherwise relatively connected.

Thanks

dual,
Glad to hear that things are relatively smooth. As for windows spooler, I've just seen some very unique problems disappear when you set the driver to 'print directly to printer'. Not sure why.
Make sure that there aren't any automatic power settings for the network cards in the pc's that are losing connection. I've seen windowsd disable that device after periods of inactivity and therefore causes mapped drives and network printers to disappear.
Hope this helps.

Shtick

Try HP webjet admin.You can set up alerts on printers to notify you of potential problems.
By the way,I used to work for Prime computer in Natick.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back