Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 5MP Roller Pick-Up Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblack63

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2002
US
I know that there is a kit that cleans the pickup rollers of the HP 5Mp. However, we are a school district in a economically "challenged" area. Therefore, I was wondering if any of you know how I can clean these without buying the kit?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Dave Black

You could try denatured alcohol.
Also from an office supply store get platen cleaner.
Or you could rough them up with trimite. (carborundum paper)
But none of the above will substitute for getting new rubber in place.
You could also look on ebay. I think I paid $12.00 for a set for my IIPs. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You can also try lacquer thinner, but be careful because it will destroy most plastics it comes in contact with.

Hi there!

I wouldn't use alcohol on rubber rollers. It has a tendency to dry them out. One thing I have used for years in the field is Formula 409. Just apply some to a lint free style of cloth and give it a good cleaning. It doesn't leave a residue and does a very good job at cleaning the rollers and the case. I wouldn't get the fancy stuff, just the regular white bottle and some lint free "shop towels." Also, you can get the stuff in big bulk bottles and then distribute them into smaller bottles.

Good Luck!

ssg1719
computer tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back