Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 5MP and Windows XP will not work!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonnier

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
US
I am running Windows XP Pro and have a HP 5MP printer installed and I cannot get anything to print. The status light blinks and it seems like it will print then the status light goes off. I can print a test page by holding down the 2 buttons on the printer but I cannot print from any programs. I have re-installed the latest drivers from HP 3 or 4 times and get the same results. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Lonnie

Thanks k1c2 and hpwizzard for your input. Like I said in my question, I have tried the XP drivers 2 or 3 times and they do not seem to work. I am going to try kic2's advise tonight and d/l the win2000 drivers to see if that clears it up. Thanks again!
Lonnie

If this printer is on a network, then try TCP/IP printing. I have several of these printers at work, and the XP boxes connect fine with TCP/IP printing. To get them to print with the building print server (NT4) I had to update the NT4 print drivers (PCL5e) on the server.

Bye - KN

I am not on a network, but I do have 2 printers. I have a deskjet using a USB and it is working fine. I tried the Windows 2000 driver for the 5MP and it is the same driver as the XP driver and it did not work. I am still at a loss as to why this printer won't work.

Check your parallel port setting in the bios. Try 'standard'.

I too have had this problem. The HP 5MP is attached
directly to a WinXP system. A Win2k system on the net can
print using it's own Postscript driver. The XP system
can't print. Try using the non-Postscript HP driver
(PCL5e). I downloaded the latest PCL5e driver from here:

On the XP system, using the printer control panel, right
click on the 5MP printer, select properties, Advanced Tab,
New Driver button. Select the 'Have Disk' button and
point to the directory you unpacked the above driver in.
Select the HP LaserJet 5MP selection and proceed.

Unfortunately, if you need PostScript support it looks like
you're hosed. I tried to manually copy in the Win2k
pscript5.dll file and it helped a bit but there must be
some other file at fault as well.

good luck,
bpx47

Thanks for the response bpx47! I will try this when I get home this evening. I have not had any luck getting this printer to work with XP. I'll let you know if it worked or not.

I tried your link and advice to get this impossible printer installed and it still does not work. I am at a loss as to do with it now. There has to be a solution to get this 5mp to work with Windows XP and I don't need postscript. I have tried every driver that HP has!

Good idea k1c2, I did just that. Hopefully someone can solve my problem there.
Thanks

Okay, here ya go. If you migrated from 2000 to XP, the 2000 drivers were retained,and XP didnt install its drivers.
Youre just re-installing the same wrong driver each time.
Right click your printer and go to properties / advanced tab. look at the driver being used and WHERE the pointer is going to.click new driver and point to the XP drivers directory.
Test printer in another environment to verify I/O works properly.

I finally changed out my parallel port and everything is working fine. Thanks for all your help.

I had the same problem as lonnier but found a simpler solution (at least for my situation).

I went into my computer's BIOS (the pre-boot setup) and changed a setting on my parallel port. It WAS set to mode "ECP". I changed it to "EPP" and the LaserJet 5MP works fine on Windows XP.

Note: Don't just go changing settings in BIOS before you find out what they do first. I got lucky that this was all I had to do. Look up what your settings mean. If changing a setting or two is all it takes, it's a much better option than replacing a parallel port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back