Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp 5L Works Great Except......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Programmer
Mar 3, 2009
US
I have an HP 5L LaserJet that I bought for $25 (with toner) a couple of years ago when I needed to print resumes. I love this printer, but I have one small problem that's gotten worse.

When it loads the paper in during a print job, it pulls 3 to 6 sheets in at time (99% of time). It's gotten so bad, that I have to load the paper in one sheet a time.

What needs to be replaced? The transfer roller or the pickup roller and where is the cheapest place to get one? This is a light use printer (5 pages a week) at my home and I don't want to sink a lot of money into fixing it.

Doug

This requires a lot of tear down. The separation pads {3}, and the roller need to be replaced.If you can do it,I'll tell you, but if not , take it in to a service place.
Fuser and pressure roller may need to be replaced also.
Spend about $100 would be worth it.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Just a comment about this printer.

I had a chance to get a couple of these very inexpensively 3-4 years ago. I got the parts for the separation pad repairs and kept the other for spare parts. It had a good dark print and I liked the small footprint. However; even with the new parts, it was very difficult to get away from the multiple page feed. My family members usually had to do 1 sheet at a time to avoid the problems. I finally sent them all back to the thrift shops and changed to a laserjet 1200 that I was able to pickup inexpensively on eBay.

We had a later version of the 5L type of printer at my work and I think they finally threw it away because of those feeding issues.

My personal opinion is that you are likely to be disappointed in the results after spending time and money trying to fix this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back