Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 5000N network card is going down every few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptp491

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2004
CA
Hi,
We have a hp 5000n laserjet, since a month ago, the network connection dies every few hours, once printer is being shut down and back up, the issue is fixed for next few hours.

I have changed the network card on it, but it didn't change anything.
Any idea ??
Thanks,

Inductance (from flourescent lights, etc) on the cable, poorly wired cable, bad patch cable...

You can try "locking down" the network card to 10mbps, and see if that helps.

... if it does, then there's something causing interference and continual packet retries on the network; I would suspect flourescent lights, motors, or AC hum coming from somewhere. If your network cables are overhead (say, in a dropped ceiling) make sure the cable isn't running over any lights.

Just my 2¢
-There once was a man from Peru
Who wanted to write a Haiku
but...

--Greg

Thanks for your response, I can't find a way to lock it on 10mbps. Any suggestions??
Thanks,

I'd have to look, but I thought you could telnet to the IP and lock down the speed/duplex.

If not, you may be able to on the switch, if it's a managed switch.

Just my 2¢
-There once was a man from Peru
Who wanted to write a Haiku
but...

--Greg

I had this problem on a 5500... ended up pulling out the backplane the nic sits in and reseating everything.

Did that fix the issue ? I changed the NIC and that didn't help.

I'll try that, because I can't bring down the speed to 10mbps. Neither telnet or the browser manager allows that and I don't want to change the switch speed as it is a GB switch for a few other users.

Thanks for all the feedback.

It helped for about a year. We ended up replacing the main logic board at that time, but I can't say with certainty that the two were related.

Which NIC? the 600,610,615's all have issues with higher speed routers, and the new 620 seem to help this.
There might be glitchy memory\firmware.
No errors? Hard drive? Plugged into wall, or strip, or APS?

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

It is a 610. I changed the switch to 10/100 and no help, it is directly plugged into switch. No APS.

There are no errors at all which makes the troubleshooting more difficult.
I have to try the firmware upgrade as well. We haven't changed anything at all(server and printer). I dobt it would be the firmware.
620 is compatible with 5000 printers ??

Yes. didn't help much either.

I've got about 30 600 and 610 nics running on gigabit switches without issue...

I was just thinking, maybe someone is trying to take the IP away when setting up a printer. This will cause a conflict, and may be bumping your 5000. Ensure no one else has rights to do this. Turn off DHCP on all printers, as at start-up they will snag a fresh IP. Leave all printers on at all times.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

The IP for that printer is excluded in DHCP, so this can't be the case. All other printers have Staticip and their IP's are in the exclusion range too.

I dobt this would be the issue.

I would still certify the cable that's running to the printer.

Does it continue if you physically plug the printer in somewhere else, on a different power and network connection?

Just my 2¢
-ARRGH! All my clothes are wrinkled! Oh, the irony!

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back