Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 4500n install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

miwes

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2003
US
I am trying to install an HP Color Laserjet 4500n network printer via HP Install Network Printer Wizard on computers running Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The installation is fine, but when a test past is sent, the printer shows as being OFFLINE? Nothing prints. I cannot determine what is causing this. I tried both defining my own printer settings and letting the system configure the printer settings. Same result in both cases. This printer does work with Windows 98 PC's. I am at wit's end with this, because both the Windows 2000 and XP computers were able to print to this network printer before. Now all of a sudden they both cannot print to it.
Help please!

Have you checked to see if offline printing is checked? Go to the printer control panel right click the printer and make sure the use printer offline isnt checked (if its available).

Yes, I looked at that and Offline is available and not checked.

Print the printer configuration page(s);verify nothing has changed.
As a last resort factory default the printer,then reconfigure the printer.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Tried restoring factory defaults, reconfig the printer, still no luck.

Sounds like the driver on the pc is marked as offline. Try going to the driver on the pc and right clicking to enable online. Or there is a duplicate driver and its trying the offline driver. Only reason I'm suggesting is because this happened to me before. Hope you figure it out soon!

How do I find the driver on the PC, I went into the printer properties, but I cannot right-click on any print driver to enable. Do I need a specific file name?

If you go to START, PRINTERS/FAXES, scroll through the list of installed printers. Hover the mouse over the driver and make sure it says ready. If it doesnt then right click that printer icon and click to enable printer online. I hope I am helping and not making things worse.

Bacardi

Already tried that, when I right-click on the printer icon, I only have an option to click on "Use Printer Offline" - however, the roblem is the printer is already showing as being Offline.

Can you PING the printer? Only other thing I can suggest would be to use webjetadmin to see if it can help with a setting being off. Could be a bad NIC or cable. Let me know!

Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back