Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp 4200

Status
Not open for further replies.

udderduds

Technical User
Jul 17, 2010
AU
Hi, I bought a second hand laserjet4200 some time ago, which I use in my home office and is great. I have 2 questions if I may?

1: I would like to hook it up to my network of 5 computers. When I bought the printer I knowingly bought it with a failed j6057a network card in it. A printer configuration page doesnt even show the card is fitted to the printer. ( from looking around the net it appears that these cards fail often) I have an old j3113a card that i fitted and its recognised, but I cant get any response to the ip address it displays in the print out. Is this card compatable with the 4200 or if not what card is the go? I believe the 620 is ok but very expensive. maybe a 610??

2: I have been reminded when printing a config page that the page printed counter does not work. It has been stuck on 67,110 pages for yonks. My suspicious mind is wondering if someone has reset the counter at some stage before I bought it, and no exited the printer pcl program properly. I have performed a reset on the printer. I remember some years back I was playing with an old lj1200 and the instructions to enter via pcl warned about not exiting properly?

Sorry to be long winded but just wanted to explain clearly?
Thanks

Hi,

Try perform a cold reset first with the NIC installed in the printer. (Cold reset instructions here ->
Next go to the IO menu -> Parallel Input -> High Speed = OFF and then also set Advanced Functions = OFF

Since the j3113a or JetDirect 600 is quite old, it might be a little "incompatible" with the never printer series internal parallel IO interface, causing it to be unable to communicate at high speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back