Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hp 4100N

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfgu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2001
US
Hi.. I have a Hp4100N connected to our print server.. I was wondering how do I set it up so the users are able to select manual feed from their desktop.. I've been looking all over the options and cannot find out how to do it.. Any Help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks...

Just stick the paper in the manual feed tray and it'll automatically detect that you want it to print from the manual feed tray.

Add another version of the printer on the server. Call it something like 4100MF. Set printing preferences or document default (W2k or NT) to use the MF tray.

I like to set the printers to not just grab automaticaly grab from the MF tray. In a multi-user environment, this can cause print jobs to go to the wrong media.

We have 10 physical printers, with 4 setups for each one. This way users can just pick the printer and know what will print (letter head, plain, plain duplex, Manual feed) without having to go into any setup. Works great.

great idea about the second driver install... the only thing is.. when I put the paper in tray 1.. people that are printing that uses paper either in tray 2 or 3.. it grabs from tray 1 first.. is there a way i can go around this?
thanks..

There is a setting in the printer control panel, about using tray 1 first. I think by default that is set to be true. Turn it off. That way, the document settings will be the determining factor in where paper is pulled from.

Hope that helps. I'm not near a printer or I would get more specific.

great.. thanks a lot for the info...

I just installed the additional printer driver... how do i set it in the configuration so that it will only print from tray one? because under "nt forms" there's tray 1 and 2...

It's not in NT forms or properties. If you right click on the printer icon. There is Document Defaults or Printing preferences (NT or W2K) that's where you set the tray to use.

ok.. I have everything set now.. the only problem now is when i print out of tray 1.. it says, "unexpected paper size"... i tried going into options and changing paper type to plain.. but then it doesn't say on manual feed when i exit.. The paper type has to stay at "auto select" in order for manual feed... is there anyway around this?

I have mine set: Size is Letter, Source is Manual Feed, Type is Auto Select.

hmm.. yeah.. i tried that.. the thing is.. i'm trying to print on some post cards.. and it says "unexpected paper size".. very weird.. because when i didn't have the manual feed on... where i just had it set on the printer to print from tray one.. I never got that...

You might have to set paper size somewhere. I know that working with other paper sizes can be somewhat of a pain.

Make sure what ever you are printing FROM has the paper size set to your post card size. Normally you see that paper size message when what is being sent is different from what the printer expects.

Wish I could be of more help with this... Let me know how you make out

Poly is right. It has something to do with the settings the printer is picking up from tray2 (or 3 if you have one). Can't imagine why it wouldn't work if you set the printer setting to manual feed = off and set it up in printer properties using auto select or manual-feed then open the door to tray 1 and set your post cards in it. Printer should then automatically check for paper in tray1 (manual feed).

Another thought. Whatever you're using to create the post cards might have a custom setting that needs to be configured. We do quite a few envelopes and labels and Word requires custom settings for these (i.e. Avery labels and legal sized envelopes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back