Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 4000n unresponsive for no known reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrubble

MIS
Jul 23, 2003
US
I have a couple HP laserjet 4000n's on my network. Of the two, one simply stopped working-- but by all accounts, it should be fine:

1)The printer prints config pages fine.
2)I can ping it with no loss.
3)It's IP is reserved; DHCP not the problem.
4)It throws no errors.
5)I have done "cold resets".
6)I have uninstalled and reinstalled the JD card.
7)The driver is not corrupt.
8)Jobs spool normally, and then just sit on the queue, while the printer sits there with it's green "ready" light blazing.
9)All of the other printers work fine.

This thing is not that old, and it worked fine until it just stopped. What else can I do?

OK
I assume that you've done all about possible common problems. Have you checked if there's not something stucked in paper's route? or Did you check the status? Probably you have a "Pause Printing" status. If this doesn't work you may think about reinstalling the drivers and print a test page so that your Network recognizes the printer.
Anyway, let me know if this works I'll check what else could be.
luisillo

I am having the same problem. I have done all the the checks above at yet it still just sits there with a green light.

One thing I have noticed is that when I printed the Config page, it tells me it has transmitted 5 packets but it has not recived any. There has been no collisions in the packets or anything like that. I am a very Junior guy, so could someone please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for you help!

Hi, I initally had the same problem until I set the link speed on the switch it plugs into to 100/half from the jack and set the actual port speed on the printer itself also to 100/half. If you leave autonegotiate enabled on both sides it will act flakey. Depending on yourt network if you have Cat 5E or above then you need to set the media speed to match. Hope this helps

robierre

I have managed to resolve this problem. One of the woman i work with played with it without my knowledge and put in a different network cable. The cable she put in went to a 10/100 hub, not just a 100 hub.

Resolved. Thanks.

Thanks for all of the replies; I've been on vacation.

OK- fixed it!

Here's what happened (I have NO idea how):
On the print server, the printer's spool was being ported to another printer (an HP Deskjet 1220C), and the resulting miscommunication caused a whole lot of nothing to happen.
As I was looking through the "ports" tab in the properties box, I noticed the mismatch, and when I corrected the association, it worked fine...

What gets me is that we were using the printer, and this just kinda "happened"! Beats the heck out of me- maybe a user was digging around somewhere he or she didn't belong, I dunno.

Thanks again.
-Shrubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back