Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 1510 installation issue on XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRP123

MIS
Mar 2, 2009
US
I've been working on a client's Dell XP Home desktop. When I tried to install an HP PSC 1510 printer, it stopped at "Error 1608 Spooler not running." I corrected this in Services, and also turned on Remote Procedure Call, which is a dependency. The printer installed, and I printed from Word.

After the next reboot, the printer was no longer in the printer folder, so I tried reinstalling. It stopped at the same point with the same error, but this time the Spooler WAS running and the RPC WAS on. Now I need help.

What does the event log tell you?

Are you setting this up as a USB based printer or an IP based one (sorry I don't know the specific printer).

Does the user have any other printing devices (logical rather than physical)? such as Adobe Acrobat or Office Printer working?

You could also look at the spooler service and see how it's set to react in the event of a failure.

Go to services, right click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties". click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop down boxes to "Restart The Service".

I would also check that the RPC service is set to automatic rather than manual and I would also have a look at all of the service dependancies as well.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

It's USB. RPC is set to automatic, as is Spooler. There are no other dependencies. Thanks, I'll have to get back to you about the Recovery tab and event log after I make another appointment to see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back