Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto Restore Single Mailbox from an IS Backup ( BE 8.6, E2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahuahc

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
US
Hi
I am doing a test backup /restore to prepare for the rainy day!

I have been able to successfuly backup the Information Store using Backup Exec 8.6.

I deleted a mailbox. I want to test Restore of this deleted mailbox using Backup Exec 8.6.

Can someone give me a pointer to a website or the list of steps that I need to follow to restore this 1 mailbox from a backup of entire Information store. ( Note, I have not done brick-level/mailbox level backup but information store backup)

any help/pointers would be extremely useful.

thanks in advance

Thanks again Qdog. i had been googling for such links for quite some time without much success.

one quick question: i will be installing exchange on a recovery server. The veritas article says: install with SAME HOSTNAME as the production server. I am little confused here: :

are these steps correct:
1. add it to the production server domain?
2. give it the same hostname as the production exchange server?
3. dcpromo will create a new forest in the same domain? or does this not make any sense.

thanks for any heads up for a long night ahead!

NAHUAHC

Ok, it all depends on which version of Exchange. If it is Exchange 5.5; you can add it to domain. Then install Exchange by "Create new site". This part is important. If you "Join Existing Site" then you will join your existing Exchange 5.5 site and then both servers will replicate to each other. This you DO NOT WANT. Because corruption in one will put corruption on the other. So you "Create New Site" during installation of Exchange 5.5 AND give it the SAME site name. I know it sounds weird, but trust me if you don't follow above steps the restore of your IS to your recovery server will FAIL.

Exchange 2000:
-You must NOT join the existing domain.
-You MUST create a new Forest. This is imperative.
-Due to Microsoft limitations, it is IMPOSSIBLE to join an existing domain with the SAME server name!!

Thanks again Qdog, I have E2K. Will try to post if anything comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back