Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

howto manage summit48si

Status
Not open for further replies.

uivpsbqk

Technical User
Nov 28, 2010
DK
Hi, I'm a gamer having a clan and a server vi play on, we planed to have a privte "lan" and then we burght a summit48 on ebay, I tot it's like my router at home login ttp://192.168.1.1 or somthing like that...

U see I dont know how to manage this??

is it possible with a ethernet cable? I read other kind connections but I dont know how it is..

I know im a noob in this and my english is not very good so please dont just tell to read the manual becos I allready did... :-/

any kind of help to get in the box is verry help full for me thanks

Kindly regards

This is what I get from support on there site:

"
Thank you for using Extreme Networks email support. Your e-mail address is not registered with Extreme Networks and we were unable to process your request.

If you have a valid eService login please login to the Extreme website and verify your email address is correct in the database
"

is it impossible to get a hint how to manage this?

or is my money lost? it cost me about 400$ becos i bought from the USA :-/

There should be a serial port located on the front of the unit. Plug a null modem cable in and use documentation on Extremes site to configure it. By default the switch will work out of the box so there's no config necessary. If you want or need to mange it then you'll need to follow the instructions.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

ok thanks, really appreciate some help thank you, in my laptop I have 15 pins and the switch have only 9 I think, is that a problem?

I'm gonna buy a null modem cable 9- 15 pins?

will I then open my browser to see the instructions?

I need to configure it, forward ports and so is that possible like a router or I'm mistaken here...?

Kindly Regards

Get a USB to Serial converter and a null modem cable. As for port forwarding and perhaps NAT features you're going to want to look at a router or a firewall. You can go to Extremes web site and download their ExtremeOS concepts guide that will help you configure the switch.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

Can I use this one ?

ohh so I can't assign ports in the switch? (thats what I thinking too)

I look so long time in extreme website without finding any thing, can you please give me a link to the download of "ExtremeOS concepts guide" I will be more than happy..

Kindly Regrads

you can assign ports to VLANs but that's about it. you can't do port forwarding/NAT with something like this. you can find the concepts guide here:

From what I recall, the summit48 runs extremeware, not extreme xos. There is not a web interface for any of the advanced functions. Your best bet is with that USB to serial adapter you linked; but really, it should serve your needs out of the box, or if it is from ebay... after it has been reset to factory defaults.

the extremeware document is on their website, click support & training, then go to technical documentation.

also, that 15pin port on your laptop - its probably your vga video port....

If you are a gamer and require no special configurations on the unit then the Extreme cable is normally required (Purple one) for Console connectivity (not sure what the pinouts would be from a null modem perspective).

If you want remote access to the unit then enable IP routing and assign a Management IP address to the correct VLAN (in this case there will only be VLAN 1 on the box).

I would actually set up a VLAN for Management, assign a port to that VLAN and then apply an IP address. Then connect whatever is going to manage the switch to that port and you will have telnet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back