Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HowTo Linking 2 sites -> IP-in-IP tunnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyVBA

Programmer
May 29, 2002
CA
I have two similar networks at two different sites. One in CityA and one in CityB. They both are connected to the Internet with a DSL modem. That modem is connected to a router. Both networks are ran with a Win2K Server server. CityA is the PDC and CityB is its child. Now I want to have both machines from CityA and CityB show up in the same workgroup when I browse the Network Places of a computer. I have tried an IP-in-IP tunnel but I must be doing something wrong because nothing happens Regards,

J.F.D.
Freelance I.T. Consultant

I'd say if both sites are connected via a DSL modem, then you probably have dynamic IPs. I would upgrade to static first, then try a couple of the VPN endpoint routers. That is what we use in our office here in Texas to connect us to Corporate in Maryland.... Thanks,

Matt Wray

Both sites are using DSL with STATIC IP addresses. Now am I right in thinking IP-in-IP tunnel is the way to go?

SITE A SITE B
------ ------

[DSL]---------------{internet}---------------[DSL]
| |
[ROUTER] [ROUTER]
| |
[SWITCH]-[WIN2KSrv] [SWITCH]-[WIN2KSrv] Regards,

J.F.D.

If you can get access to your router setting, you could set up pont to point tunnelling protocol (providing your router has that function). Be cautious, your tunnel is not going to be secure. Invest in some kind of firewalls that has VPN capable.

Call the guys at Sonicwalldepot.com
703-264-7776
They set me up with the same system, 2 sonicwall SOHO3's with VPN option. 1 at each end. Easy to setup and WORKS GREAT. Also lets you us a group VPN for telecommuting.
Tell them Ed Card
said HI

Since you have 2 sites only check with your ISP. If you have the same ISP on both sides you can get your ISP to do it for you with a minimal cost. When at first you don't succeed, try try again

I am using a Nexland Pro100 model router at both end.

From what everyone is saying this tunnel is something I need to setup in my hardware and not on my servers?

Is there other hardware you can think of that can be added to my setup to make this work? (Like the Sonicwall SOHO3's with VPN option that Card mentionned)

Please can you provide more information about: L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) with IPSec over PPTP for VPN Tunnel Regards,

J.F.D.

Sorry, you are misunderstanding a little. L2TP with IPSec is instead of PPTP. It is more secure. From what I read on the Nexland Router, it should be fine for you. You will set up an IPSec tunnel between the 2 routers, and that's it. As long as you can see both sides you should be OK, as there is a built-in Firewall... Thanks,

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back