Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto Install Cisco Call Manager 4.0 on a generic PC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirelesspeap

Technical User
Oct 6, 2004
US
Hi BuckWeet, intuity and everyone,

I am going to install CCM 4.0 on a generic PC (dual P-III
1.0 GHZ with 2GB of RAM). This is what my installation procedure will look like. I really appreciate input from the experts in this forum:

1) Install Win2k Advanced Server with:
a) Accessories and Utilities,
b) Indexing Service,
c) IIS,
d) Management and Monitoring tools
e) Assign an IP address, DNS and default gateway to the
win2k Advanced Server machine

2) Apply Win2k Service Pack 4 and IE6 Service Pack 1
and reboot the machine,

3) Create a file in notepad name make_mcs.reg. The content of the file will look like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\Model]
"Hardware"="MCS7835"
"Memory"="1024"
"Speed"="1000"

4) Save the file and merge into the registry,

5) Apply the OS upgrade with the file obtain from Cisco called win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-2-6sr4.exe,

6) reboot the machine,

7) After the machine come back online, insert the CCM
install CD and start installing CCM 4.0.

Is this the right way to do it? Please help.

David

I followed beatd's info regarding the shutdown.exe file and it seems to be working...thanks.

I have the same 'create process' error as you mdfuller trying to install 4.1(2), I have installed W2K Server, SP4, 2000.2.7 + SR2.
Please can you detail beatd's info regarding the shutdown.exe file as I can't seem to find it.

The shutdown.exe file is part of a utils directory that gets installed by the Cisco OS install portion which get's skipped when you install on "generic equipment". Look on an exiting call manager for the utils folder.

Hi
I have another problem. I have CM 4.0(2). I've installed this one on MCS and everything went fine.
Now I'm trying to install on non branded PC - but on DVDs that I have there is bunch of .pqi files. Can I somehow extract files from there or do something else.
Thanks

you should be able to copy them from the MCS server you have...

hm, I've examined local disk C: and didn't find any installation folder or something that look like installation folder for CCM :-(

c:\utils is where the "shutdown.exe" file is stored along with a bunch of other files.

Yes, I have this folder. It's about 32MB. I'm not aware how to run setup from there :-(

You don't run setup from there. Copy this folder to your generic server. The run the CCM install from the CDs (NOT the H/W Detection install but the CCM Install).

If installing 4.1.3 change the Spirian Value to 2000.2.7. After this install is finished I will attempt it on a Win 2003 box.

After changing the Spirian value to 2000.2.7, I run into this error:

CreateProcess: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

From reading other posts it appears it wants C:\UTILS. So I created that directory. Now I get the following error:

CreateProcess: Error: 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

There is nothing put into this Utils directory at all. I only see msxml3.msi put into the c:\temp dir along with ccmsetup.exe and ccmsetup.tmp

Suggestions?

hi ,

have you install the the win-os-Upgrade-K9.2000-2-7 and win-os-Upgrade-K9.2000-2-7sr2?

please try this procedure:

- w2k server
- install snmp-server
- registry hack
- win-os-upgrade-k9-2000.2.7
- win-os-upgrade-k9-2000.2.7sr2

after this procedure, you must copy the application "shutdown.exe" from folder "c:\programm files\cisco\updates\2000.2.7sr2"to the folder "c:\uitls"

- ccmsetup.exe

and the installation starts after the reboot!

beat

Im trying to load ccm 4.1.2 on a laptop
i read all of the other members comments and followed all there steps.

using ms virtual machine 2004

i loaded 2000 adv server w/sp3

i did the reg hack ( and on the spirian i put 2000.2.6)

i ran os upgrade 2.7 and 2.7sr

now trying to run ccmsetup and it come up with a CreateProcess: Error: 2: The system cannot find the file specified

Thanks Beat! That is what I was able to figure out. I used win2k adv with sp4 integrated. Loaded the Internet Explorer 6sp1. Reg hacked it. Then installed 2-7 and then 2-7sr3. Copied the shutdown into the utils dir and was able to install CCM.

Thanks for the reply though!

Hi,

I tried the procedure above with CCM 4.1.3 and win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-2-7. The OS upgrade works fine, but the install of CCM fails just after where you enter the password with the message that there is insufficient memory. I need at least 1 GB (that's what is says). I did apply the registry keys before the OS patch, which is changed after the OS upgrade (so I redid the reg entries), but no luck installing the CCM 4.1.3

I did find out that the MSI installer reports the PhysicalMemory variable with the true value. This is being generated by the OS dynamically. I wonder if this has anything to do with the failing CCM install.

Does anyone have a possible solution for this issue?

Thanks
Guy

You actually need 1 gig of ram for 4.1.3. I did finally get it installed and working. My setup is a P4 3.0 HT with 3 gig of DDR2 533 running W2k3 enterprise with GSX. Guest 1 - is CCM 4.1.3 and Guest 2 is Unity 4.0.4. Works great!

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid this would be the reply. I see you are running vmware GSX server. How much memory did you allocate to the vmware session running CCM?

I'm running it in VMWare Workstation. Would you recommend the GSX Server or would Wks be OK as well. It's a lab env. in prep. for a prod. env., but it needs to run stable as we'll be experimenting a lot with it.

Thanks
Guy

Never used Workstation before so I can not say for sure. I was told ESX was the way to go, but company did not buy it. Key thing is to allocate a physical hard drive to each guest to allow simultaneous writing (no rading and writing on the same drive). For CCM I did 1.2 gig and for Unity I did 1 gig.

I do continually get <30% virtual memory from RTMT. I upped the swap size to 2.5 gig and it helped a little but thats it.

Another key thing is to defrag both guests and the host after installation and major changes. If you don't the machine with be really slow!

Hi all,

Did anyone tried to install the BARS on a "non Cisco Hardware" ?

I did the installation of the CCM 4.1 on a VM, with the regedit modifications discussed before and it was ok. But when i try to install BARS it doesn't accept to be installed.

If i look in the log file there is the following error :

InstallUtils.cpp: metaCreateApplication: metaCreateApplication failed. Error -2146368492: The identity or password set on the application is not valid

I tryed to reset the passwords and tried again and again, but always the same error.

Is it an other register to modify, or an other application, like the "shutdown" discussed before, that needs to be copied manually before installing the BARS ?

If anyone has BARS up and running, then i would appreciate to know how it was installed.

Thank you for yours answers

Regards

LFA05

Hi LFA05,

I am having the same problem with BARS on an approved IBM x306 server. When I look at the security event log it is showing an error for IUSER_Guest, logon type not allowed.

Running 2000.2.7 with SR4, Installed CM 4.01A which is working, but the CCMUser web page refuses to start. I have tried every NTFS/IIS fix from Microsoft I can find to no avail.

Very strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back