Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Howto hide the URL on the bottom from a printed page? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLion

Programmer
Sep 13, 2000
NL
Hello

I've got a page that is a report, but when I print it the destination URL is printed on the bottom from the page. My question is how I can hide that URL on the printed page?

I know you can do it by setting a few options in the internet options from internet explorer, but the people that visit the page don't think about that, or don't know how to do this.

So the question is how to accomplish this with JavaScript?

Thanks,

Charl

Is there anyone who knows if it is possible, and if so, has any sugestions where to look, or how to do it?

Thanks

Check out the status and default status properties of window. That may do what you want. There's a good example on under "objects, methods and properties"/"window".
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

problem solved?
if not, here is an idea:
print from new opened-for-printing page, where u can turn all bars off & leave just what u want 2 be printed
here are some links on this stuff (almost all r from the same source)
& here is a good source on printing:
regards, vic

Thanks for the help Tracy and Vic, but it hasn't helped.
The window.print() method only prints the window, it doesn't set, and you can't set any settings for printing there.

I know there is an onBeforePrint event, where you can set any settings, but I don't know how you can programmaticly set that settings. Because by the page-settings I need to set the header and feet text to empty.

I appreciate any help,

Charl

what settings? u cam remove address bar, isnt it what u was for? :-I regards, vic

When I print a page only the content from the site may come on the paper, and not the things like the header notes 'page 1 from 2' in the right upper corner, and the title from the page in the left upper corner, and the address in the left bottom corner, and the date in the right bottom corner.

Hi Vic, I've looked all the hyp's over and I couldn't find it, have I over looked it?

Thanks Charl

You can fiddle with your browsers print settings i.e. File/Page Setup then remove the header and footers. As far as I am aware this is the only way.

You could inform your site guests of this...

Nice one :)

I was aware of it You can fiddle with your browsers print settings , the question was how to do this in code.

But even thanks for the response ;-)

Charl,

I'm not sure that you can control the printed output. You may try the window.status() call, but I can't guarantee that this will give you the results that you're looking for.

- DB Web Developer
Digital Video Arts, LTD.

RedLion, sorry, didnt got it from first time :cool:
looks like i dont kno how 2 help u (just printed some page myself & NOW i c what u ment) regards, vic

........... can vbscript do something like this?

Did you guys ever find a solution? I have the same problem. Its for an internal purchase-order database and the client doesn't want his customers to see the internal site url on the printout of the invoice.
There HAS to be a way!

there is, (are) take a look: thread215-39189 Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back