Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hows the new test? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hi,
I just passed my A+ cert and now I'm moving on to the Net+ cert! I was reading up on it and found that the test have changed as of January 1 2001, so I was going to see if anyone has taken the test and what its like.. I've takin alot of online exams but they all are so different and spread out on the points of network that i'm kinda lost as to what to study exactly.. So, if you've taken the new test or even the old one, please give me some advise and insight on how it was and what to study hard!!
Thanks
Snooter Knowing everything about pc's would be like knowing everything about women! Why do they do the things they do???

I passed the Beta test in November, it wasn't bad at all. Know your general topology types, IEEE stuff, Device specs (Switches,hubs,routers,etc.) and of course TCP/IP (Common port numbers and some basic subnetting). I like all the cramsessions they seemed to help me and they are free.

Good Luck
jwcox3

MCSE,Network+

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on taking the Network+ test ASAP, where do you find the free cramsessions, if I might ask?

Thanks,

Rob

Hey again,
I just received an E-mail from CompTIA and it says that as of some short time ago 55% of the test questions are scenario based!!! aarrgg.. those are the ones that start out "You are a network administrator and blah blah.. and they have Required & Optional results.. I hate those ones! Knowing everything about pc's would be like knowing everything about women! Why do they do the things they do???

The major difference and reason for the change in the Net+ test (from what I've heard) is the addition of LWAN technicalities with the recent onslought of GSM/GPRS technology.

David (A+)

Just passed this exam yesterday. YIKES! I passed, but it kicked my a#$! Yes, there are quite a few problems that are situationally oriented. The test I took had a notable emphasis on Token Ring and Fiber related technologies.

If you know the following topics inside out, then you shouldn't have a problem passing...

Topologies
Cabling
802. (types)
OSI Layers
Protocols
Basic TCP/IP troubleshooting tools

Gary
gwinn7

Oh, Lordy and help ho! I was about to schedule the Net+ exam, when I read these posts. What on earth is an 'LWAN'? (Long, large, logical, lingering, lusty...?) And I see by my trusty PC dictionary that 'GSM' has something to do with cell phone technology, but I have seen nor learned not a thing about it. I came here because I read in Comptia's exam objectives that we're suppoed to be able to identify the default subnet masks for an IPv6 IP address, and I couldn't find anything about it on the web.

For the record, anyone know how to identify the default subnet mask of an IPv6 IP address? Thanks!

I'm thinking of going for Network+ in the next while. How long does it take to leran? Any 'berst' books? Links besides cramsession.com?
should I take a course-any good 'reasonable' ones.
Anythingelse I can do to make it?
Thanks
miken

I passed the Net+ a few weeks ago Sybex book and test prep through TechSkills.com. It took about 60 days it can be done sooner depends on ho much time you have to study the materials and do the hands on labs.

bone up on:
Topologies
Cabling
802. (types)
OSI Layers
Protocols
Basic TCP/IP troubleshooting tools

I did get questioned on novell and linux on my test

Good luck

Just got home from the test center - I passed, but barely. (780 - it says I needed 646 to pass - I thought it was 762!!?? - did they change it again??) The easy questions were insultingly easy. But there were a lot of things that I had never even heard of. Well, I've heard of them now! So glad that's over.

If you have any drag and drop questions, you have to be very very very precise in aligning the items up exactly inside the spots for them.

Good luck everyone, and thanks!

Lin33

I know exactly what you mean about the alignment stuff! In my case, you had to click on the lower right corner of the item to get a grip on the object and the alignment thing was concerning me a little.

Congratulations Lin!

Gary
gwinn7
A+, Network+

I passed it last week. I still thought the pass mark was 82%, infact its 64.6... I ended up with 833/900.

Its not too hard, I did a lot of reading, and a lot of research on the net, theres a wealth of information out there if you look. Most of the questions in the exam werent 'exactly' the same, but the concepts were the same, which is the idea I guess.

There was a couple of hard questions, make sure you read the CompTIA Objectives, I didnt even read it till the night before, but should have.

Theres not too many, if any of those primary/secondary type questions. I was scared because of the expected high pass mark, but with the new pass mark you should be fine.

I used Mike Meyers, Test-Yourself and the Net.

I know study books and exam cram books are subjective to each individual persons' likings, but can I ask what books you folks like, that resembled the types of questions the test had on it, versus some of the books you avoided ?

Is there a 'can't miss' book or books ?

the new test for 2002 is a chalange, I have passes with verry little problems, you have to know about some older techknologys, but with study any one will pass

I passed my Net+ exam on May 15th of 2002.

I studied using:

- Free Online Practice Tests
- Net+ for Dummies Review cd (Burned by a colleague)
- Marcraft's Network+ Textbook
- Certification Insider Press Network+ Audio Review
(* BEST CRAM MATERIAL *) 4hours reviews it all!

The test was exactly like the practice tests in the materials above, the Dummies cd had most of the questions dead on in the format that they are asked.

NOTE: Revised objectives are out so make sure you material is up to date, but if you know the previous material you will still do good.

Brian Velkavrh
Sr. Consultant - BPV Webdesigns
Network+ Certified Engineer
bpvlogo.gif

I took the test yesterday and passed with a score of 726. It is a 72 question form test. You are allowed 90 minutes for the test, which is plenty of time. I used Mike Meyers study guide. I had studied for two months, but did not recognize a few of the questions. There were several questions that required two or more answers, which was my biggest difficulty. In my opinion, there was far to much emphasis on Token Ring. Who uses that stuff anymore? Read and understand the CompTIA test objectives. Make sure you have a good understanding of Topologies, Cabling, OSI Layers
Protocols, IP classes, Disaster recovery and Basic TCP/IP troubleshooting tools.

I am looking at taking the Net+. How much is it? I feel I am ready for it. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hey there, I have recently written the Net+ exam 2 weeks ago, and I have to say that there are quite a few scenario passed questions/troubleshooting, I only got about 2 questions with pictures,my advice is to know basics of IPv6, wireless, and your server windows/unix connectivitys, I passed the exam, but I also got my CCNA so that really helped me prepare for Net+. Best of LUCk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back