Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would you save a portion of your database if you had to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBAHole22

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
I have a database with 6 tables that are all joined together in one way or another. At certain points in time I want to take a subset of the records in one table(based on a criteria in that table) and 'catalog' them somehow along with the related records in the other tables.
It's somewhat hard to explain. I want to preserve a point in time in the db so that at a later point in time I can reinstate the records as they were in the past.
Is this even possible?
I thought one way to do it would be to create a view(with all 6 tables) that accepts a parameter and then exports all of the records that are returned into another table. Not sure how I would rehydrate this back into the original schema.

Is there even a name for this kind of operation? I'm having trouble googling it because I don't even know what a name is for what I am trying to do.

Another way I thought I could get this done would be to add a flag field to each table and then modify the flag somehow.

Yet another way could be to roll transactions back and forth but I only want to do this for a subset. I do keep my own audit table that lists changes so that might work.

Yet even another way could be to keep a lookup table telling me which version some record belongs to and then roll back based on that value. (I figure any schema I come up with would have to have a way to keep track of versions).

Any suggestions are very much appreciated

You may want to look into Replication, check books on line. But not sure if that is exactly what you need.

Jim

if you know which Point in time u will want to be looking at an easy way to do it would be to take a full backup everytime you need the information and then simply restore it to a second database whenever required.

alternativley create a table called records or something
have a recordid and time collumn
then add a recorid collumn to everytable
then u can limit your querys on the time stored in the record table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back