Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would you recover from Diskpart clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

soas

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
I have two hdd's on my system. One is a 20GB hdd that I have been using to back up my data, my other hdd is a 40gb hdd I have my OS and etc on. I decided to back everything up and reinstall my OS because of performance issues, when I reinstalled my OS, windows no longer recognized my 20gb hdd. I realized what had happened was that before I reinstalled my OS I had norton goback on both drives and now with my fresh install it would not recognize my hdd. In the recovery console I still had access to all my files and my idea was to just run chkdsk, fixmbr, and fixboot to see if I could just rewrite the bootsector and such. Well obviously this did not work and it shows you how well I understand partitioning, but the next thing I did was quite foolish. I decided I'd would mess around with the diskpart utility to see if I could change the partition information for that drive. I selected the drive and I ran diskpart clean.. not thinking clean meant *clean* and not bothering to check the windows helpfile on diskpart first.. Anyways, so my problem is two-pronged and I have been doing research, but my knowledge in this area is seriously lacking, although I work in technical support for computers and I am generally a fairly technical/capable person. I am wondering where I stand and what steps I should take. The data on the drive is not critical but I would *really* like to have it back. I am attempting to recover a deleted partition. I may also be willing to purchase software to aid me in recovering, but I want to make sure I have software that is completely capable of resolving my problem. Any sugguestions?

Just wanted to make an update. I've tried all the utilities that are recommended on here, and so far the most complete solution for me has been GetDataBack. Granted I am only using the trial versions of each program. Each program I tried so far has been able to find most of my files, but GetDataBack showed the entire directory structure and the files that were at the root of the drive.. One of which is a 9gb backup file which the others did not seem to find. I am still on the fence about purchasing it because its a little more expensive, but I am very impressed with its performance. The software is deffinitely worth the money, I am just trying to decide if my data is worth 79 bucks :p I think to almost anyone it is though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back