Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would I go about Rebooting a remote server on the internet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galford1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2004
US
I have a Windows 2000 server that is on the internet that I normally connect to by terminal services. The problem is since it is running in Administrative mode it only allows 2 logins. This is causing an issue due to its telling me that my 2 account are currently in use but I can not figure out a way to reset them or reboot the server short of making a trip down to the host site. Any one have any ideas on how to reboot/kill the sessions by an IP address?

Don't know if this works on 2000 but it does on 2003.

Go to the cmd prompt and run MSTSC /CONSOLE

this will start a remote connection to the servers console.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

The console switch is for 2003 only.

If you are having issues with not having enough terminal sessions available, you may want to consider configuring the session timeout period (Terminal Services Configuration/Properties of the RDP Connection).

Short of doing this, you should be able to reboot the server from the Internet with a variety of tools, namely the Win2000 Resource Kit utility "Shutdown" or (My favorite) PSTools from
One other option would be to install the Win2000 Resource Kit utility Rconsole. This will allow a remote shell into the server without having the RDP session, so you would be able to do a shutdown directly from the remote command prompt.

Hope this helps.

Do you have another server other than one in question that you can TermServ into? If so you can go into Terminal Services Manager on the other server and kill the sessions on the server you're trying to get into.

David.

Netintruder - thanks for the tip - I'll check out that tool in the resource kit - have it right here.

davbar - Thank you for the advise - as soon as you said connect from another server the lite went on. I used the shutdown.exe from the other server on the same subnet and it worked great. Both servers are runing as stand alone workgroup servers but have the same login info setup on them. I tried doing a runas from my system with the shutdown but could never get it to work right.

Thanks for the help!!!

Galford, If you can access another server, try using Terminal Services Manager to drop one of the open sessions on the server in question (in admin tools). This will save you a reboot at least :)

That's where Davbar was driving.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Intruder - ya I caught that. Only problem is both servers are running stand alone server mode with local profiles. When I ran the Terminal Services Manager I couldn't get it to connect to the other server. Is there some way to specifiy an IP address to connect to it? (There is currently no domain authentication or dns between them.) If so I have yet to find it.

Thanks
Dave

Under the "Actions" menu, you have the option to connect to a different computer.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

I see that option in the Windows2003 tool but not in the Windows 2000 version. Only options listed under that are:

1. Find Servers in All Domains
2. Connect to all Servers
3. Disconnect from All Servers.

In Win2k3 the options are:

1. Connect to Computer...
2. Refresh Servers in All Domains
3. Disconnect from All Servers

I guess I could upload the new version of Terminal Service manager to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back