Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How would I go about adding an NT4 Server as an BDC of a Win2k AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
How can I add an NT4 Server as an BDC of a Win2k AD? Is there a command like dcpromo or something like that or is through Administrator Tools?

Thanks

If your Win2K is operating in mixed-mode (was upgraded from NT4.0 PDC to Win2K) then you just need to install NT4.0 as BDC, it can talk to the Win2K server just like this was a NT4.0 PDC. If your server is NOT operating in mixed-mode (if this was a fresh Win2K install) then your NT4.0 server can only be a member of the domain, not a BDC.

Alex

The Win2k server was a fresh install but I optioned for Mix mode to support the NT4.0. If it can't become bdc can it be a pdc?

Chris

When you install NT4.0 you tell this it is a BDC and point it to your Win2K server. Because this is in mixed-mode the BDC thinks this is an NT4.0 PDC and connects perfectly. If you have already installed NT4.0 and did not make this a BDC before, I think you must re-install the OS to select this.

Alex

I just setup a W2k server in Mixed-mode and then staged a NT 4.0 server to added in to the domain. The NT server will only become a member of the domain, but you can assign it as a print server or anything you want it to be, as long as you understand that in a 2000 setting there is no PDC/BDC.

If I setup the NT4 Machine as a printer server can it mange the AD because my PostOffice is on the NT4.0 machine and on some computers I have to enter the old Admin password to logon to the NT4.0 machine to retreive the list so outlook can get the postoffice list of users to send mail.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back