Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How vulnerable is NAT on ADSL modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CW2002

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
AU
I have purchased an ADSL modem with router. I plan to configure the ADSL modem/router with NAT. I am just wondering whether NAT provides sufficient protection against self-propagating worm viruses (such as MSBlaster) and hackers?

Thanks in advance

CSW

It helps but I would advise a firewall as well.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

NAT is not sufficient protection from viruses and hackers. It bothers me that some router manufacturers consider NAT firewall to be a real firewall. It would be safer to have a router with some sort of stateful inspection firewall. Or make sure your PC's have some sort of firewall such as Zone Alarm.

I agree with the above. NAT is protection from the outside only, and does not scan or block anything that either you or your PC has given permission to go thru.

I would say every network needs NAT, but every PC needs both an antivirus scanner and a software firewall. On larger networks, normally you have proxy servers and other servers acting as the firewall instead of loading every PC with a software one.

Although most viruses are caught by antivirus scanners, very few worms and trojans are ever caught before they do damage. The main reason is that your scanner is usually only updated once a week. And by the time Mcafee or Norton knows about a worm, it's already done its damage. Just another reason to make sure you have a software firewall watching the doors.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

If this modem/router is for a corporate network, I do not advise using it as both modem and router.

We have seen many issues where these modems have not lived up to expectations and have wasted more than their fair share of time. The best formula is usually to let the modem do a modem's job, and find a router that meets your network's needs.

Best of luck.

Bdahl
bdahl@colba.net

I think that by ADSL modem/router he actually means ADSL router.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

iproute,
"[blue]I think that by ADSL modem/router he actually means ADSL router[/blue]"

Why do you say that? There are many ADSL modem/router combination devices out there. The company Alcatel is one example.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back