Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how use the OPENDATASOURCE funtion with Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaleonCHILE

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2005
hi, I've a problem with the OPENDATASOURCE function. I wanna open a .xls file on QA but just can't do it. ¿ anybody with a idea or solution ?

a lot of thanks in advance.

Regards, CMN

Post the code you are trying to use and what errors/results you're getting.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but what version of Excel are you using?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

ok, I get this help from Books on line:

SELECT *
FROM OpenDataSource( 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'Data Source="c:\Finance\account.xls";User ID=Admin;Password=;Extended properties=Excel 5.0')...xactions

so I do the same, but I ignore what means the "...xactions" part. I guess this is the spreadShet name in the file, where I have the data desired, so I wrote:

SELECT *
FROM OpenDataSource( 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'Data Source="c:\Finance\test.xls";User ID=;Password=;Extended properties=Excel 5.0')...july

I've have office 2003 ( maybe this is the reason ), my xls file is named "test", and inside I have a Sheet named "july". No ID and No Password.

I use SQL SERVER 2000 Developer edition

The error I get is:

Server: Msg 7314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' does not contain table 'july'.
The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on
that table.

Thans a lot

CMN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back