Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How update Impromputu catalog 'folder'? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazolba

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
I have not used Impromptu before and have been given no training but was given the task of updating a catalog by adding a new column. After 2 days of blood, sweat and tears and tinkering with ODBC settings, I have managed to add the column to the catalog.
However, this catalog has 'folders'. Even though the new column now appears in the catalog, it does not appear in the 'folder' for the catalog. I hope this makes sense. I have looked at the Cognos documentation and nowhere can I find how to add a column to a folder.
I realize this is a very basic question, but how do I add the new column to the appropriate 'folder'. All I can find is how to create, move, copy, paste, remove and rename folders. I don't want to create a folder I need to update an existing one.

gazolba,

This can be a little confusing. When you first create a catalog Impromptu will automatically create columns for all tables added. Later, if you add a new column, you will have to go to the Folders Catalog menu option and run the Generate button option and select Database Table via the radio buttons shown. Then select the table that you have modified and double-click it to open to show the table columns. Then select the new columns ONLY and press OK. This will create a new folder with the suffix (2) at the end of the folder name. Go into this new folder, cut the new columns from the folder, go to the existing folder for this table and paste them into the position you want them to appear. Modify the column names if required. Then just delete the old (2) folder and you are all set.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

Thanks for the answer. Would be it be just as good to rename the existing folder then rename the newly generated folder to the existing name, rather than cut and paste the new column into the existing folder?
This all seems rather a hinky process and is not documented in the Impromptu manuals. Oh well, so long as it works...

Dave,
A star for that answer, I have been looking through documentation for how to update folder all to no avail and here with one search...u nailed my problem....maybe next time I should search your threads before looking at the documentations.....[medal]

Thanks,
TuskyNy
IT/Programmer
----------------------------------------
"Everyday, I keep thinking about why I'm thinking too much..." TuskyNy

<Would be it be just as good to rename the existing folder then rename the newly generated folder to the existing name, rather than cut and paste the new column into the existing folder?>

Not as good. Reports actually refer to catalog objects not by the names displayed in the folder, but by an internal ID no. which doesn't show on screen. If you already have some reports that refer to the existing folder, they will continue to refer to it under its new name, but users won't see that easily if at all. And if you someday delete the old folder, reports are broken.

Dave's procedure is the way to go.

John

Does it hold good for insertion of a whole new table too? I mean do i need to follow the steps as discussed by griffindm for the insertion of one column to insert a table in the catalog???

shwetabh,

No. When you add an entire table to the catalog, a folder with the same name (or with a (2) at the end if a folder of that name already exists) is automatically added to the catalog.

Dave Griffin

&quot;Magic with Data&quot;
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

So I just pull in the table and then close the impromptu administrator? I mean the catalog will be updated itself?

You would still have to add any required joins. Optionally, you could also move the folder for the new table under another folder if it clarifies the table usage for end users.

Dave G.

&quot;Magic with Data&quot;
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back