Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelNicest

Technical User
Oct 30, 2003
US
I wanted to learn IBM db2 or Oracle on my own. Is there a very low cost alternative? How do I go about doing it? Can someone please help me? I currently don't have a job...so i can't spend a lot of money on it. Is it possible?

Thank You

get the FREE db2 v8.1 file from the IBM website (~ 500MB). Install it then play around with it. I suggest you learn SQL first, although that should only take you at most a week. The experience is best if done using unix, in my opinion. Try some programming with those databases too, like using perl. I'd install the program, make a few tables, insert a few records, then query them like mad. Or better yet, build a website, build some cgi script using either perl or php, then interact with the tables thru the website. Now if you're a hardcore, you can have 2 machines, one acts as a db server, the other a client. Get the client talking to the server.

Hi Angel,
I found this link, which is an online (free) training course. It appears to be a little basic I think, but should at least give you a start.
Marc

I at least know SQL... Thanks for your help. Will install db2 8.1.

is that a trial or an evaluation version for a few days?

it's a FREE version. I've been using it for more than a month now and it still work. Said there it's a "complementary" version. Who cares, it won't expire.

Download Personal Edition .... It does not expire ...

Except that it is not accessible from the network, it is as good as Enterprise Server Edition. There are a few features (DB2 Connect, Spatial Extender) which will be missing, but they are not so very important for a new programmer

Cheers
Sathyaram

More DB2 questions answered at

Hi

I downloaded the free version but I'm having problems installing it i.e. when asked about domain, user, and password what should I be entering?

All assistance greating appreciated.

Shelby

Shelby,

If I remember correctly, that part of the install requires username/password information so it knows what account to run its services under. I sit behind a firewall all the time and actually make many services manual, so I always have used Admin accounts, but I think a regular user account will be fine as well.

Thank you. I actually figured out from the manual that I had to assign rights to the Administrator group and go from there. I got it installed okay and then had problems installing the sample database but I'm up and running now.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Shelby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back