Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to write a DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

theomen

Programmer
Jun 2, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I don't know if its just me, but is writing to DVD's a complex issue?

The reason I ask is that I've never yet managed to successfully write a DVD.

I've been trying today to do so through Nero, I get all the files into the correct folders on the DVD, hit burn, it takes an age to do the burning, then says its done it successfully. However, when I put the disk back in, its empty. I can't write to it again as it says its full, but there is nothing on it.

Is there something special I need to do, such as boiling the DVD for 30 minutes, then putting it in the oven for a further hour before attempting to write to it ;-)

Its really winding me up.

Any help would be appreciated, before I start throwing things.

The "Diabolical Video Device" is just living up to its name.

Are you writing data files to it or video. Have you just installed the burner or the software? There is always an answer even if its throwing things.

Thomas

Thanks for the reply tomaso11.

Its a video dvd that I'm creating.

I actually managed to get it working in the end. I chose the option to create an image when burning the dvd through Nero. When it finished, it again said it burned successfully, but again there was nothing on it. Then I opened the image in Nero and burned the dvd again (well, a different one, that one says its full), and this time it seems to have worked. So I think the answer is probably to create images and burn from them.

Thanks again.

Ola,
in Nero, what part of it are you using to burn the VIDEO DVD?

when creating Video DVD's to play from stand alone DVD players or on the PC using PowerDVD or WinDVD or others, use NERO VISION EXPRESS instead of NERO BURNING ROM...

also at times Windows Explorer gets confused by burned MEDIA, and will not list the contents of the DVD/CD at all, as it just can't read it... This is usually due to the install of other BURN Software or Plugins, or even CODECs... Please list all Burn Soft you are using, and if you have a CODEC pack installed and what it is...

Check these GUIDES:

Burning pre-authored DVD-Video using Nero
Burning BIN/CUE Images with Nero Burning Rom
How to burn a DVD-Video Disc with Nero Burning ROM

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You might be using the wrong part of Nero. In the data world an "image" is a compressed file that stores a replica of a hard disk or CDs. You write the image and then put it on a website or such where it is downloaded and burned to CDs to reconstitute the files. This is also called an ISO file in some systems.

The answer is "42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back