Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to View Outlook Message Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs604

Instructor
Jun 7, 2003
AU
In Outlook Express I can view the entire message source including the header, html code, hyperlinks, and any attachments in ascii.

In Outlook I can only view the message header, through Message -> Options

Anyone know of a way to examine the entire content of an Outlook message? I particularly need to identify hyperlinks.

Cheers,
Brodie

Outlook doesn't have a View, Source option like you'll find in Outlook Express. It has View, Options which shows you the Internet header in a small text box. But it only includes the Internet header, not the full message source.

Using Outlook 2003 you can view the header and source together, if you edit a registry key. This works on mail obtained from Internet mail transports, not Exchange server mailboxes. However, if you access the mailbox using an Internet transport, you'll see the full source. Open the registry editor and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
right click on the right pane and choose new DWORD:
Parameter: SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders

Value: 0x00000001

Christopher McGill
CCSA, CCNA, MCP

Thanks, Chris,

I have version 2002 (10.0) and it didn't work.

However, a tip from another forum is if the message is in html format then open it (double click) then right click in the body and "view source".

If it is not in html, then click 'reply', then Format -> html, then 'view source' as above.

It's tricky, but it works. :)

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back