Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to view my website locally on the Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcr123

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
I am hosting my site on my W2k server and it is live on the net as we speak. I have the host header in iis so my problem is now I can't view my site locally on any of the PC's except the w2k server. I put in a in the DNS, in Foward Lookup Zones/(my domain name)/ is the alias(CNAME) and it's pointing to my server.domain.com, so why is it that I can't view it on the rest of my other systems? I am running on Comcast here on my network and I have my cisco 4000 router configured. I am using my server ip for all the other computers DNS servers and I am using comcast DNS for the backup DNS servers. I hope this explained a little. Maybe the CNAME was created wrong or maybe im missing something else in my DNS or something but im not sure whats wrong.

you can do one thing .... Run Isa client setup on your server ... its works.
--------------------
Shahan Subzwari
Pakistan
--------------------

If this website is internal or on your DMZ with a static address translation and/or web publishing in place (either way, if it has a private address translated on anything) You need to add the PRIVATE ip address of the webserver into your DNS not the public ip.

Yeah I figured it out. I had recursion turned off and that was my reason for not being able to get out to the internet using my internal dns. I can get out to the internet and see my websites now that I am hosting.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back