Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to view all fields when i use "describe <table_name>"

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnccy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2002
MY
hello all:

i have a table with about 20 fields. i used "describe" command to display those fields types..
but due to too many fields for that table, it can't display all the fields on screen at one time.
is there any "pause" command to pause the display..
or i need to use "pause/break" button evertime to pause the display?

thanks for help..

rgds,
john

i suppose you are in a console on a unix like system

then in the mysql client run:
mysql> \P more;
or
mysql> \P less;
or any other paging prog

then your result that exceeds one console page it's paged

to remove the pager run
mysql> \n;

Sorry, forgot to inform that i am using mysql under win98..
and i tried the commands that you suggest to me.. but it seems that doesn't run under win98..

any suggestion??

well i don't have mysql installed on any win machine, but there is the more pager in windows, so with the "\P more" it should work
otherwise try to find some special pager util, install it and try it with the mysql

There are two things you can do.

One is to increase the number of lines in the scroll buffer of the command line window you're using to get your table description.

The other is to get MySQL-Front from this URL:
MySQL-Front development is completely stopped right now, but version 2.5 (available at the link above as of 2002-10-10 16:27:17 UTC) is very stable. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back