Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Use While Reading Records/Evaluate After?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexlc

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
GB
Hi
I am using Crystal 9 to read an Notes database through ODBC.

The select distinct records option is selected, yet my report is returning duplicate records (even though I can't see them in the database, I am waiting for the DB desigenr to come in).

Can I select distinct records by using the WhileReadingRecord or EvaluateAfter functions? If so where do I place the formula.
This is my current record selection:
Code:
{SubShift.PaymentRateCode} in ["NHS Agenda For Change", "NHS Framework Band 3"] and
{BookingSummary.Status} = "Complete" and
{BookingSummary.BookingDate} in Date (2007, 03, 01) to Date (2007, 03, 31)

and I also have a formula for identifying duplicated records:
Code:
if Previous ({BookingSummary.AccountsReference}) = {BookingSummary.AccountsReference} then "Duplicate"
I can't select this field in the record selection.

Please can anyone help - I need this data for the NHS by the 15th April.

Cheers Alex

A formula field can't be used for selection if it is based on more than one 'row' or detail line. Selection has to be based on something in a single 'row', though it can be a formula field involving several fields from different tables.

The normal solution is to group on the account number (or whatever else makes it a duplicate). Right-click on the detail line and suppress it. Put a set of detail values in the group header or footer.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Durr - forgot that.

However I need to sub-total a level above that - this is how I knew the report was wrong, as I have it doing a DistinctCount of {BookingSummary.AccountsReference}, but a Sum of {SubShift.Total Hours} where it came up with 40 hours worked for 2 shifts - oops.

So that's why I need to be able to strip out the duplicate records.

Hate Notes!

Cheers Alex

Please explain your tables and how they are joined. If you are getting duplicates and you cannot see them in your database I am guessing that you have 2 or more tables with a many-to-one relationship.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

I have BookingSummary and SubShift which is further detail on the booking.

I have linked from Summary (one) to Sub-shift (many) via the Summary Unique ID number.
I have just found the Select Distinct on the report option, and this has got rid of the duplicates - can't you tell I'm never in that menu! Previously only set on the general options.

This is an old report that I have made no changes to, other than changing the dates required, which makes me think it is the database.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back