Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use VFP parameter and how to use it. (Basic Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

creedprg

MIS
Aug 31, 2005
PH
Hello Guys,

I need some sample of how to use parameters and it's function.

Thanks
JEss

Are you getting errors referring to parameters? What's your code, failing, if so?

If it's just a general question:

A Parameter has two sides: If you develop a function you define parameters, to which values can be passed in by a caller. Parameters are simply variables, which are initialised by values calling code sends in. If you are the called, parameters are there for you to specify needed input, eg calling a file opening function you need to specify the file name you want to open.

Parameters make code flexible, something is done depending on the parameter values given.

Parameters can be optional or non optional, for example the DATE() function works without parameters, giving today's date, or with parameters, specifying any other date's year, month and day:
? DATE()
? DATE(2000,3,4)

On top of that you should watch some basic learning videos, eg Even the VFP help has very good topics for learning language/programming concepts.

Bye, Olaf.

Hello again Jess,

Could you be more specific in your question? What is it about parameters that you don't understand? Do you have any particular problems with using parameters? How much do you already know?

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

@mikelewis i really don't have an idea how does it work.[sad]

Jess, it's not really the purpose of this forum to teach Visual FoxPro. We can answer specific questions, and we can try to solve particular problems. But we are not here to give general teaching or instruction.

Olaf has suggested some sources where you might get basic information about parameters. Another good source is the VFP Help file. If you search for "parameters", you will come up with a dozen or so topics that should help.

I don't want to discourage you from asking questions in the forum. I suggest you read the information we have pointed you to, then come back here when you have specific questions.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Ok I understand. i am now working with the samples given by sir olaf. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back