Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use Update statement with output from a Store procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinsinger

Programmer
Oct 21, 2002
US
Hi,

Do you know if one do an update of table based on out from a stored proc ?

For example we typically do :

Update some_table set some_col = 'some_value'

But Instead what I want to do is:
Update some_table set some_col=exec some_proc @arg1, @arg2

I have been unable to get this to work. Will appreciate any help

Thank you

You could catch the result in a variable and using output variable(s) in your procedure:

declare @cmd nvarchar(4000)
declare @arg2 blabla

exec some_proc @arg1, @arg2 out

@cmd = 'Update some_table set some_col=' + @arg2

(If @arg2 is not numeric, put it in quotes)

finally:
exec sp_executesql @cmd

Hi,

swampboggie, I wanted to use a function, but can not because my stored proc uses temp tables and temp tables, it appears are not allowed in Funcs. Also exec is not allowed as to be used in a function

Hablaras, I am trying to do this without using a cursor.
The arguments for the stored procedure are columns from the table to be update. I basically want to update a particular based on some other columns in the same row of the table.
I will have to loop through all the rows using a cursor, in order to do what you suggest, but cursors are slow and I did not want to use them. Function would be perfect, but functions have all these limitations, it seems

Thanks
Calvin

YOu could try using the insert statement with the execute function to insert the results into a temp table and then use that in your update.

Hi SQLSister,

But I still can not write a function with a exec or with temp tables. I am not sure how what you suggest, will achieve the result.

Thanks
Calvin

create a temp table (let's call it #temp1, I figure you know how to do this). The structure will match the output of your stored procedure.

insert into #temp1
Exec SP_testprocedure (123, 'hi')

(That should insert the results of your stored procedure into the table)

Update table1
set col2 = #temp1.col2
from table1, #temp1
where table1.Id = #temp1.ID

That will update the col based on the a join to the #temp table.

Hi sqlsister,

Thanks for the response. You see the problem is that I do not want to use a cursor. This method, is no different than doing an update, because I still have to loop through the table which I am updating.

The arguments which I want to use for the stored procedure
are contained in the table. That is they are the columns of the table. I basically want to update a particular column based on some other columns in the same row of the table.

A function would be most ideal. But a function does not allow exec or temp tables inside it. So I can not use a function

my method does not use a cursor, it uses a join to the temp table. Now if your stored procedure only returns one record at atime that could be a problem. In that case I would rewrite it to return all the records you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back