Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use update query ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg553

MIS
Jul 6, 2009
US
I want to update one field in my table. What i have is a player information table which has basic information on each player. The one i am concerned with is the grade field. What i'm trying to do is at the end of the year run a query to update each athletes grade to next grade.

For example grade 11 to 12, grade 10 to 11 etc.
The fiels name is called Grade.
How do i set up my query to add one to each grade

Greg

Once again thanks dhookom.
I guess now what i would like to do is beable to update all grades at end of year and delete the ones that have graduated.

So all 12th graders would be deleted from current table and archives into my history table. How would i go about coding this

I have

Tbl_Playerinformation
Tbl_PlayerHistory ( for archives )

Thanks for all the help as i learn all this stuff
Greg

Actually, I would probably not store the grade but rather the year the player graduates. Then, I wouldn't have to do any updates since I could take the current year and compare the the graduation year to get the grade.

I don't usually move records from one table to another unless there are 10000+ records. If you really think you need to do this, create an append query and then a delete query.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Sounds like a plan. that is a good Idea. i would at most have 20-30 seniors a year moving on so that sounds good. i also like the year aspect also
Thanks
greg

Since on this subject, how would i go about creating a back up / restore data base feature.
I would like to be able to backup data just incase something goes wrong and restore .
I am going to look at posts to see but i figured i would ask

thanks for ll your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back