Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use two screens on one PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakkes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
Hi,

using graphical programs, I would like to use two screens on my PC: one (17 inch) for the actual document and one (15 inch) to organize my tools.

Can anyone tell me if and how this can be done?

I'm using Windows XP on a PII 400 MhZ PC, with free slots for an extra videocard.

You will need a dual output video card. Either two VGA (D-sub) or two DVI ports. Industry norm is VGA for most home monitors.

You don't have to use a dual output video card. Most PCs have a single slot for AGP video cards, which offer the best performance. You can buy an AGP dual-monitor video card and drive two displays. But you can also use the existing video card and add a second card. Just be sure to get one for use in a PCI slot.

Windows XP automatically handles two displays.

As bf0x says, VGA output is standard for most displays. Just be sure to check your 15 inch display to see if it has a VGA input.

Just a thought as well. If you get a new video card and it comes with Dsub and DVI on the backplane, for a few £(UK) using a DVI to VGA adaptor means that if your monitors are both CRT then you won't need to change them. Then later as you upgrade you'll already have DVI capability. Dual headed (DVI/Dsub)video cards start from about £40(UK)

You are really running winxp on pII?? And graphics programs as well? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back