Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use the fn key on a HP Laptop Computer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgkeller

Programmer
Apr 12, 2000
CA
Instead of a backslash I get a ÀÀàà
Thank you for your help.

Charles Keller.

A better description would be a good starting point. First, you never need the Fn key for a standard backslash ([!]\[/!]). Next, what language is the keyboard hardware layout - standard US or something else? Finally, what keyboard language is set in Control Panel?

Hi smah,
I have a HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC with Vista Premium OS.In the control panel, regional and languages, I have English (US) selected as default.
When I start to work on the computer, every is fine, and the
backslash is fine, but half and hour later, the backslash
disapears and is replace with E (accent aigu). To rectify this, I have to shut off the computer and put it ON again, and the backslash is back.
This is really annoying, because in the middle of my work, I have to shut off my computer and put it ON again.

What could be wrong with my computerÉÉÉÉÉÉ (You see, here it come again..............

Thank you for your help.
Charles Keller.

cgkeller,

When you open up 'Regional and Language Options' from 'Control Panel' and select 'Change keyboards...', do you have any other input languages listed under 'Installed services' besides US?

Also, for future reference if you are having problems with the Windows Vista OS, please use the Windows Vista forum.

forum1583

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Hi Joey,
Thank you very much for your posting. I checked my settings
in the Control Panel > change keyboard settings. It said English US, with a tick on it.
However, I also noticed that at the Vista Welcome Screen, the small icon "Keyboard" (on the left side) says the following:

Canadian French
> US (There is a tick at US)
Canadian Multilingual Standard

I guess, you guided me in the right direction and I hope that my problem is now solved. In two weeks, I will let you know if it is OK now.

Thank you Joey for your help.

Charles.

Charles.

So give him a star! Some of us are starwhores. lol

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back