Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use tar to extract one file from a tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antzzz

Programmer
Mar 9, 2001
AE
Hi,

I need to extract one file from a tape using tar. For example, if the file's name is file1-0.bck, what's the full tar command? Tar -xvf /dev/rStp0 file1-0.bck ? What if I want to extract all files ending with *-0.bck ? tar -xvf /dev/rStp0 *-0.bck ?

PLease advise.

And can anyone advise a good product that can backup and restore ALL my filesystems in case of a hardware or hardrive failure? Is BackupEdge any good?

Thanks!

You can download BackupEdge for a free trial and see what you think. I recently did.

Your tar commands seem fine, but you might need to put your wildcards in quotes. Also, when extracting one file add a q to your command to make it quit once it finds it. like "tar xqv8 filename." Depending on how you made the tar backup, you may need to account for leading slashes. See the man pages for this.

If you're not sure about the format of your command, I'd recommend using a tar -tvqf command first to check the syntax. This (without a filename to find) will also help tell you whether you need to include leading slashes or not. Good luck.

Sorry - forgot to mention. Could you use ufsdump for your backups and ufsrestore for any restoration required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back