Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use SQL SERVER database without Microsoft SQL SERVER Management Studio 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webowner47

Programmer
Nov 26, 2018
DZ
Hello,
Does anyone know how to use SQLSERVER database without Microsoft SQL SERVER Management Studio?
because i saw tons of applications don't use the database client.

can any one help me?

Are you wanting to create databases and run backups or just query the database? Or are you looking for an alternative to SSMS?

Sorry for Less Details, what i exactly want is to "Query Data" from already created database without installing SSMS in the user Machine.
For Ex: the user install my application on his/her Computer machine and use it without the need to install SSMS.
Also my databases could reach 50 GB in size.

You'll want to install ADO (which is likely installed already). Then you should be able to connect via ODBC to the SQL server and write your queries.

For better SQL support you might want to install a SQL Client such as the OLEDB provider (
I don't have a machine that doesn't have the SQL client installed so I can't confirm/deny that you do or don't have to install the SQL client.

sorry for late response, but you didn't understand my question.
I need some kind of trick to use SSMS database without the installing the client.
or if there is any kind of other solutions to use instead of SSMS.

So you want to query one of the system databases? (master, model, msdb or tempdb)?

@webowner, DjangMan did understand your question.
You can query any database without using it's native sql editor.
All you need is a driver, in case of MSSQL, it is the OLE DB provider which comes standard with any recent windows system.
So all you need to do is use the TADOx components in your application.

you need at minimum
- TADOConnection (where you specify the SQL server host, credentials and database you will be using)
- TADOQuery (which will execute the actual SQL query)

Anyway if you are new to ADO, you can always consult the Delphi documentation.
Best regards,
Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
Helping people is my job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back