Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use SMTP instead of SendObject for email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEShannon

Programmer
Oct 25, 2002
US
I'm running into a Microsoft 'gotcha' using SendObject to send email via Outlook where it pops up with a 5 second progress bar and then asks user to verify that he's not a virus. The user clicks ok and the email is sent. when you've got 200 emails several times a day this just don't cut it.

I think I've determined that there is no way around this (although I'd think there'd be a userid+password routine that should bypass this question) so am looking for another method of quickly sending customer order confirmation and status emails.

IIS/SMTP comes with Windows 2000 (and I hope XP).

I think IIS / SMTP could well be the solution but I can't get the !@#$*$# SMTP server to work. I've gone through several 'how to' articles without successfully getting the SMTP server to send email. All this trouble and I haven't even gotten to the VBA code yet.

Does anyone out there have some experience with solving the above problems? I'm obviously open to other than SMTP solutions and would even consider purchasing a solution to integrate into my app.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

PARTIAL SOLUTION:

FYI: I haven't solved the SMTP problem but I did find a neat work around called ExpressClickYes 1.0.4 which, once started, sits in the background and click 'Yes' to the Microsoft security question mentioned. Cuts send time from about 6 seconds to 1 sec each.

Their url: Look for ClickYes

I'm still interested in answers to the main email if anyone has them.

Thanks,
Jim

I've run into the same problem. We've upgraded all of our PC's to OfficeXP, and now ALL of my programs that use the SendObject pops up with a 5 second progress bar and then asks user to verify that he's not a virus. I ALSO have send 200 emails. There HAS to be a way to register the persona as a safe site or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back