Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use scanner/Bar coding with database

Status
Not open for further replies.

pthakar

Programmer
Feb 28, 2003
US
I designed a library application and I wonder if/how I can have scanner and bar coding on the books. and how I can connect with my database.
Any Idea , suggestions welcomed
Thanks in advance

I couldn't see any response??? Do you have any idea why?/
Thanks

Have a look online at catalogs for barcode readers... usually come with req. fonts.

I think its simple enough as the reader will put the scanned barcode into a text box and you can do a lookup on it for info etc..

Post up if you have any success.

Vince

Well, basically you can.

Connect the barcode scanner to the computer to a serial port, include a MSComm control in a form in Access and then use serial communication on that port to store data in the database.

Or check the barcode scanner documentation, it may provide you with step-by-step instructions and possibly an ActiveX object to interface the database with the port.

Never done it, but I think this is the way to go...

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

I've developed several apps in Access that utilize bar code technology.

Although you can print bar-codes from access, it seems a little slow - at least using the intermec 3400 printers we have on hand. We recently purchased Bar Tender to print bar code tickets for our rough inventory.

We installed scanners at several locations. These scanners use a "wedge" that allow the keyboard to plug into the wedge and then the scanner plugs into the computer. That way, the Scanner input substitutes for keyboard input. Most scanners can be set up to enter a "return" once the bar code is scanned.

HTH - send a msg back if you need a little more info.

Thanks
jmeadows7 could you please provide me more details for the products and describe how I can have all file number barcoded from the application (i already have in access)
Thanks once again

Pthakar,

I'm making a lot of assumptions in this reply, so if they are incorrect, just try to apply the suggestions to your situation:

1. Don't try to build intelligence into the barcode.
2. Since this if for library books, you'll probably want to print the bar-codes on-demand from Access.
3. Purchase bar code fonts for your version of access from a vendor - you may can find them for free somewhere, but I bought the ones I used on the first app that I had to print the bar tags from Access.
4. Research a printer that will print the type of tags that you need. There are several good small bar code label makers on the internet. You can set up the app to allow you to enter the information for a book:
i.e. Author, title, year published, dewey decimal system number, etc and then print a bar code. Unless you want the dewey number to be the bar code - I'd probably just let the system generate a number for me. But in your case, the dewey number may be the way to go.
5. Design a report in access that is the correct size and try to print it. If it doesn't work at first, keep at it - you may have to fiddle with the page size settings, columns, etc. to make it work.

It shouldn't take too long to research, order, and integrate this. You basically just have to make a decision to move forward and move forward with the confidence in yourself to make it work. The integration of the report may take a day or two. I had to work pretty hard at finding a font that would print from access in under 5 seconds. I think the Swiss Mono font is the one that I ended up using.

hope all these suggestions help. There's just no way to give specifics on something like this.

Thanks jmeadows7
I appreciate ur time and help but I need more details about scanner and how to link tables and perform query or any other activity on database application based upon code scanned.

Thanks
You are a great helper.

The barcode value (e.g. 123456789) is going to be a unique field value in your Book table and you would query or work with that value like any other value in your database. You don't treat this field any differently than any other field as far as how you interact with it. The barcode scanner is just replacing keyboard input.

Thanks evalesthy
If u find more information about scanner and barcoding compatebillity with access pl. share with me
thanks for ur help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back