Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use Ras dialup for maintenance *9000*

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperJenks

Vendor
Jun 8, 2005
US
Its been a long time since i posted here...lol

Does anybody know for sure if you can use ras service on the IP500 for remote maintenance. Here is what i have tried following the Avaya remote access document.

1. Ive enabled port1 on the atm4u for modem access

2. I tried using the default remotemanager user and tried creating a new user with password (made sure Dialin was enabled under user)

3. Verified the Ras service had the user in there..

4. Verified the incoming call route was there for remote manager with Dialin set up as anydata

5. Made sure DHCP server is enabled to assign remote computer an address

6. Enabled *9000*

7. Created a microsoft dialup connection on the remote PC with the user and password and correct dialup line.

Every time i try dialing in i get a modem tone but no response from IP500.

I found posts that this worked with the IP400 series if you had the modem2 card in place and i would agree with that because i have made this work before but not on a ip500.

Some have speculated that the modem in the ip500 only works for ISDN based calls.

Any advice would be great. thanks.

ACS IPO-I

it says when using an ATM4 card the first port can be set to answer v.32 modem calls.

If I were you, just buy an ISDN modem likve the Dialogic DIVA

saves pissing about with alog modems!

ACSS - SME

Thats not an option unfortunately. I forgot to mention this IP500 has embedded VM otherwise I would use a modem on the VMPro server which is our standard method when broadband access is available. This is a state network and my options are very limited.

ACS IPO-I

I meant to say when broadband access isnt available. Why cant we edit on this forum is beyond me...

ACS IPO-I

See if this helps

RAS Access Normal Steps
System = Dialin button is Checked on

Line has it’s own in and out group id’s

Line has Modem enabled

User RemoteManager has Dial In ON

Incoming route using unique incoming line group to DialIn
Incoming route Bearer Capability set to Any Voice

RAS Access Steps Added for Release 5.0 and up

1. Once you have completed the steps above to allow RAS Access please add the steps below.
2. Create a Time Profile
3. On the left side of the screen Right click on Time Profile and select new
4. In the Name box type Dialin

5. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Add Date

6. Enter the correct date and press OK
7. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Add Recurring and press OK

8. On the left side of the screen open User and select Remote Manager
9. Click on the Dialin Tab and put a check in the box next to Dial In On
10. In the Dialin Time Profile select Dialin and press OK

11. Save the configuration.

These are the same steps ive already taken and it does not work. I tried the time profile too but is an optional if needed. thanks for the reply though. Im starting to think this will not work.

ACS IPO-I

Put a analog modem onto a pc or use the internal one if you can, install pc anywhere and you are done. It works quite well and quicker than analog dial up to the system :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

here is how it works without any additional steps added.

create a User and put in a password into the field under the user name (also put it into the confirm password) go to the dialin tab and check the dialin, you don't even need an extension number for that user.
dial *9000* on the system and the modem becomes active, even without the check mark in the line 1 field, also no need to enter a RAS service for it. Just ensure you have the DHCP option set to dialin otherwise you have to set your own IP address for your dialup service.
since Avaya gives away the embedded voicemail for free more and more customers take that option and that has forced me to use that option more often than I like to. Sometime the 9600 speed is all I get when I dial into the systems but it works.
You can also put an option into the Auto Attendant to transfer to *9000* then you can enable and disable it remotely without calling the customer and do work after hours. That call to *9000* will not disconnect or give you the double beep but it works.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

TY, i will retrace my steps as you described and let you know how it works.

ACS IPO-I

It was only yesterday I found myself dialling into an old IPO SOE with analogue trunks. Doing the whole *9000* this just feels weird but the customer is completely used to it!

What fun...

ACSS (SME)

I never touched anything...

Westi, i tried your steps and it doesnt work. Im starting to think i might have a bad atm4u. I will swap it out with another and retry. Thanks for your post...

ACS IPO-I

no worries good luck with it.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

use teamvier on a pc download manager all done...on analogue its more hassle than its worth...also if you buy the teamviewer license you campany can band it

ACA - IP Office
ACS - IP Office
ACSS-SME

Has anyone been able to make the Modem work when using the new Combo Card?

yes

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Geld alleine macht nicht glücklich, aber es beruhigt ungemein

mostly get about 9600 as max speed but enough to make changes and upload it.
It is very sensitive to line noise and will drop the connection if the line is not 100%.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Well, I have tried everything. The Modem answers, but it will not handshake. I am dialing out over an internal modem in my PC using Network Manager. Is there some secret to this?

no secret really, i had connections where I could not get it work either in the past and I have not found a eason for it.
Try with the default config and only the ras user programmed and if that also doesn't work then maybe switch hardware for testing.
I have an old US Robotics Sportster 33.6 external modem that has the least problems with difficult connections (bettere than the internal one) and I tried with that. If that can't do it there is either a line problem or the hardware is no good.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

You're using the first Line Port (port # 9) on the Combo Card, right?

correct, first line first combo card if you have several.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back