Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to use oracle??

Status
Not open for further replies.

streem

Technical User
Apr 18, 2006
SA
Can anyone help me..... I'm new to oracle and also can be known as dummies on using oracle....

I recently bought oracle 9i client version and successfully installed in my windows XP. When i try to launch the SQL PLUS and they prompt out to ask me for user and password.. this is the problem here as I don't know what user and password.... I tried scott/tiger which my college told me but then it doesnt turn out working and keep prompting me for user and password... plus the host-string too... I've totally no idea what to do.... anybody can help me.... on how toset up the user and password.... or the host-string....

thank you very much in advance to those who can help me aka dummies to solve this oracle thing...

Try system/manager without a database string.

If it doesnt connect look for a file called TNSNAMES.ora in the <oracle home>\net80\admin folder. There should be some local DB strings you could try, such as beq-local or tcp-loopback.

Hi Streem,
Further to what lewisp has suggested...

TNSNAMES.ora file contains the details about the port number, the ip address of the host, the database connect id etc...

A sample part would look like the one shown below...

TRAINING =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.32.19)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = training))

If this above code is present in your TNSNAMES.ora file, then the host string would be the SID. In this case, it is 'training'.

HTH,
Hari
)

What database do you need to connect to? As you've installed only CLIENT software you tried to connect to some external database. In this case you need to specify connect_string . The connect string must be the same as one of the tns_aliases in your local tns_names.ora.

SEM.... I'm confuse........HELP!!!

How can I help you as you do not answer my question? Did you install Oracle database locally? Whot version of 9i do yuo use (Lite, Enterprize, Standard)? Did you run Easy Config or Network Assistant as part of installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back